ShamuCroaks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MotoGP Austria

Go down

MotoGP Austria Empty MotoGP Austria

Post by Henrik Tue Aug 25 2020, 11:26

I have to say that MotoGP this year is particularly interesting. It is a bit like we had to wait for so long for the season to start due to Covid-19, and now they are trying to make up for this lost time! I suppose one can imagine a number of reasons for this incredible sudden diversity in race leaders. Certainly Marc’s accident and subsequent absence plays an important part, but I also think that we are seeing a number of young riders that have clearly shown promise in the past suddenly getting a chance to shine. They have gained experience over the last couple of years, and it is all coming together now. The same can obviously be said for KTM and Suzuki, all at the same time when the established manufacturers are experiencing some major issues.

The back to back races in Austria were exciting, eventful and frightening. The track is a bit unusual as it is short, does not have a lot of corners, and contains some really hard braking points. This is why in the past Ducati have favoured it as they could fully exploit their engine advantage, and a hard and late braking rider like Dovi can stand out. Yamaha obviously struggle from this, and even more so this year given their brake issues. KTM, knowing the track better than anybody, have obviously been able to get things right, but I think it was Suzuki that was the really big surprise.

Race 1 will always be remembered for that horrific accident. Watching the race, it scared me, but it was only later when I got to see some track side photos that I realized to what extent it was dangerous. It all went so fast that one did not even notice how close Morbidelli’s bike was to Rossi, and it is a miracle that we did not lose one or two riders there. I guess sometimes you get lucky, but I struggle to understand how Rossi and Viñales were able to get back on their bikes for the second part. As for the accident itself between Zarco and Morbidelli I really believe it was a racing incident and again Zarco was treated unfairly. Even more so as we found out during the second weekend the brake problems the Yamahas were experiencing. I am certain this played a part in Morbidelli running in to the back of Zarco.

I can understand Pol being upset with the red flag, as he was clearly in a good position to win the race, something he so desperately wants to do now after Binder stole the KTM maiden victory from him. In part 2 of the race, Pol clearly no longer was able to keep up the pace, and he had another incident with a rider similar to what happened in Brno, and again no penalty or other comment. Anyway, Dovi did well to capitalize there, and take his victory. I really had high hopes for Rins, but I think he really threw it away on his own given how he was first able to recover from losing the front in that one corner, and then the next lap he goes for a pass there when he should have known he did not have the grip. Too bad, and perhaps down to a lack of experience. Mir then did great to grab second, with Miller in third.

Race 2 was shaping up well for Pol to get redemption. He managed to grab pole, but what I thought was hilarious was the fact that the next two qualifying times were done by Nakagami and Zarco. Two riders not necessarily rated too highly, both riding 2019 satellite bikes! I like both of them, and as always I have a soft spot for Japanese riders. Nakagami is doing a great job with the absence of Marc on the Honda, and I hope that they will recognize this for next year. Zarco is doing way better on that 2019 Ducati than I ever expected from him, and in spite of all the criticism that has been written about him (unfairly in my opinion) it would seem fair that he actually gets Dovi’s bike for next year. Then again, Miller sort of deserves it too… Anyway, with Zarco’s penalty it was Mir who got the third spot on the front line. It is interesting to note that the top 10 were within 0.286 seconds. That is pretty damn close!!!

After the race got under way, Mir did everything right. He looked so strong on that Suzuki, and was gradually building a small lead. Nakagami was equally impressive, and I was hoping for a bit that he might even win the race just to show that perhaps Marc isn’t the only rider that can win on the Honda. Either way, the racing was good, clean and exciting, until Viñales had to ditch his bike at over 200 kmh. Madness yet again, and another red flag.

So, we would again get a second half race, with all the riders (except Viñales) being able to get fresh rubber if they had any left. Some like Pol and Miller did, others like Mir only had a fresh rear to put on, and had to go back out with the worn front from the first half. It was pretty clear that he would not be able to hold everybody off as he simply could not push as hard in the corners as those with fresh rubber, but he did a hell of a job nevertheless, and in the end he just missed out on a podium spot. Up front it was all about Pol and Miller. I loved watching Miller back it in to turn 3 lap after lap, and the determination of Pol was glaring. He knew he could win this, and was going to do anything to succeed. The last lap was a real thriller, and as they were coming down through the last couple of corners, I was about to say that Oliveira would probably win it because Miller and Pol will mess up the last corner though their over enthusiasm. I never had time to say it though, and was ecstatic to see Miguel slide though on the inside and take his victory.

It was a well deserved victory for sure, and I was happy to see it come for a Tech 3 KTM. We now have two KTM races won, and I think everybody will look at them as real title contenders and a bike any rider would want to get their hands on. How things can change quickly in this sport.

It is not long a ago when most riders probably aspired to get a factory ride from Honda or Yamaha. I think after these last couple of weekends, most would happily take a KTM or a Suzuki over the Yamaha, and probably the Honda too. Pol may be regretting his decision to sign with Repsol Honda for next year…

Henrik
Henrik
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down