ShamuCroaks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bahrain GP, GP2, and final Testing CANCELLED

4 posters

Go down

Bahrain GP, GP2, and final Testing CANCELLED Empty Bahrain GP, GP2, and final Testing CANCELLED

Post by Gelert Mon Feb 21 2011, 20:57

Bahrain withdraws opening race
By Pablo Elizalde Monday, February 21st 2011, 15:56 GMT http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89598

Bahrain Grand Prix organisers have announced that the event will not host the opening round of the 2011 Formula 1 season, after days of uncertainty following unrest in the country.

The decision was finally confirmed by the track organisers on Monday afternoon.

The Crown Prince informed Bernie Ecclestone of the decision by telephone earlier today.

"At the present time the country's entire attention is focused on building a new national dialogue for Bahrain," Crown Prince Salman bin Hamad bin Isa Al-Khalifa.

"Although Bernie Ecclestone had graciously made clear that a decision on the race was entirely Bahrain's to make and was not yet required, we felt it was important for the country to focus on immediate issues of national interest and leave the hosting of Bahrain's Formula 1 race to a later date.

"I would like to extend my personal gratitude to Bernie Ecclestone for his support and understanding.

"After the events of the past week, our nation's priority is on overcoming tragedy, healing divisions and rediscovering the fabric that draws this country together; reminding the world of the very best that Bahrain is capable of as a nation once again united."

Ecclestone added: "It is sad that Bahrain has had to withdraw from the race, we wish the whole nation well as they begin to heal their country.

"The hospitality and warmth of the people of Bahrain is a hallmark of the race there, as anyone who has been at a Bahrain Grand Prix will testify. We look forward to being back in Bahrain soon."

The postponement of the race means the season will now start in Australia on 27 March, two weeks later than originally scheduled.

Renault boss Eric Boullier said his team fully supported the decision.

"The recent situation in Bahrain has been very difficult for the country. We feel the decision taken by the Crown Prince is wise and we fully support it," he said.

"The Bahrain Grand Prix has always been welcomed with enthusiasm from the Bahraini people, and we're looking forward to going back there when they have healed their country. We will now amend our logistics accordingly and will get ready for Australia."

No decision has been made on a new date for the rescheduling of the race, which was due to take place from March 11th to 13th.

Barcelona to host final F1 test
By Pablo Elizalde Monday, February 21st 2011, 16:52 GMT http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89601
The final test of the pre-season will take place at the Barcelona circuit following the cancellation of the Bahrain Grand Prix.

Bahrain was scheduled to host the test from the start of next week, but with the news that the Sakhir event has been withdrawn, teams have decided to do all their winter testing in Spain.

The Barcelona test will take place on March 8-11, some two weeks before the start of the season in Australia.

"It is obviously disappointing for everyone involved in the organisation of the event, but it is clear that to race in Bahrain at this time would be inappropriate given the current circumstances," said Williams CEO Adam Parr.

"It is always Williams' intention to contribute positively to the countries we compete in and so we fully support the Crown Prince's decision to cancel the test and forthcoming Bahrain Grand Prix. We now look forward to a season debut in Melbourne and returning to Bahrain when it is right to do so."

The decision means the teams are likely to be unable to test Pirelli's tyres in hot conditions before they travel to Melbourne.

"To be honest it's a big pity for us," said Toro Rosso driver Jaime Alguersuari. "I think it should be a big pity for everyone. It's a really good example to see how these tyres work in different temperatures, hotter, different humidity levels. It's really crucial for us if we don't do that test.

"I would rather prefer to do the test there after this test to keep our training period in Spain because at the end you always find the same kind of temperatures and humidity here. I wanted to see different situations and circumstances on the tyres."

GP2 Asia confirms Bahrain cancellation
By Steven English Monday, February 21st 2011, 18:39 GMT http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89609

The withdrawal of the Bahrain Grand Prix from the Formula 1 calendar also means the final rounds of the GP2 Asia Series will not take place in the country.

After the opening rounds of GP2 Asia in Abu Dhabi, Bahrain was set to host the final two visits. The second round was cancelled last week and now the grand prix weekend finale has also been called off.

GP2 boss Bruno Michel said: "We are very sad to see Bahrain removed from this season's calendar. It is always a great pleasure to go there, where we have been cordially welcomed with professionalism since 2005. We are looking forward to going back there soon."

A statement from GP2 did not confirm whether it will seek a replacement venue, or whether the Asia Series will end after just one event.

I heard on the BBC News yesterday (20/02/2011) that Bernie had decided to let the Bahraini Government make the final decision - talk about "passing the buck" much...

Meanwhile, back at the ranch:

Pirelli have already sent a whole load of "stuff", by Sea-Freight, off to Bahrain.
Ditto most of the F1 Teams.

Who's gonna pay for all of this wasted / diverted traffic...?

You can bet your "Bottom Dollar" that it won't be Bernie / FOM / FIA.
After all, he / they / it left the decision in the hands of the Bahraini Government....!
Sly b'stard...!

Standby for lots of Legal Claims that won't go anywhere...!

Gelert
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Bahrain GP, GP2, and final Testing CANCELLED Empty Re: Bahrain GP, GP2, and final Testing CANCELLED

Post by gueuzeman Tue Feb 22 2011, 02:16

I thought the helmets for the drivers are bulletproof?

Actually, good to call it off, wondering if there could be more races cancelled as Bernie has Dubai, Singapore, and Malaysia to think about.

And America.

gueuzeman
gueuzeman
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Bahrain GP, GP2, and final Testing CANCELLED Empty Re: Bahrain GP, GP2, and final Testing CANCELLED

Post by Dani Tue Feb 22 2011, 04:30

They definately made the right choice. I guess we will have to wait a bit longer to find out where everyone stands...
Dani
Dani
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by eso Tue Feb 22 2011, 06:16

So I'm lame, the season will start in Australia like it's supposed to?

Cool, I can stay up to watch that one...

eso
eso
eso
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

http://www.esodesignstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gueuzeman Fri Feb 25 2011, 05:00

WOW!! Bernie says he won't even charge them for the cancellation. He must be getting soft in his old age.....

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-bernie-ecclestone-not-charging-bahrain-for-postponed-race/

gueuzeman
gueuzeman
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Dani Fri Feb 25 2011, 05:27

I guess it just wouldn't feel like the start of the F1 season without a little sleep deprivation!! shamusmile
Dani
Dani
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Gelert Fri Feb 25 2011, 16:01

gueuzeman wrote:WOW!! Bernie says he won't even charge them for the cancellation. He must be getting soft in his old age.....

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/f1-bernie-ecclestone-not-charging-bahrain-for-postponed-race/
Even more soft-and-squidgy, in a pink-and-fluffy kind of a way... http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/89625

Ecclestone also revealed that Formula One Management will pay for the costs of the cancelled event, estimated to be around $40 million.

"The fee that is normally being paid for the event is not being paid," he said. "I am not charging them for a race they are not getting.

"Whether they are covered by their insurers for loss of revenues, ticket sales, etc. I am not sure. But if anything is force majeure then that is. It is similar to if an earthquake had struck — no one could have foreseen that a month ago."

"If and when it is rescheduled they will pay their usual fee."

Aw shucks - what a cutie Uncle Bernie is... cat

That is, until the race is rescheduled - then we'll see the colour of his generosity...!

Gelert
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by eso Fri Feb 25 2011, 16:07

Gelert wrote:

That is, until the race is rescheduled - then we'll see the colour of his generosity...!

How much of FOM do they own? I'm sure there's plenty of that big oil money lining his pockets and he's smart enough not to bite the hand that feeds him.

eso
eso
eso
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

http://www.esodesignstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down