ShamuCroaks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Laguna Seca

3 posters

Go down

Laguna Seca Empty Laguna Seca

Post by Henrik Tue Jul 31 2012, 17:24

Another race last weekend, and since it is run at something like 2AM Monday morning for us I did not watch it live. The timing there makes it a bit difficult to get to work afterwards, so much better to avoid the media for a day and then check it Monday night instead (yeah, I know that does not excuse my post being made only Tuesday evening…).

With Spies having announced he was leaving Yamaha, and Hayden confirmed another year at Ducati, the local boys were sort of spoken for. Sure, we don’t know about Colin, but it is just sad seeing him putter around on that CRT crap. Rossi is still holding the key card though for the 2013 season, and I guess we still need to wait a bit longer before finding out the rest. I did hear that Ducati offered him EUR 17 million for another season, and even if he probably does not need more money right now that sort of pay out does make you think. If that is indeed a real offer, I think the only other viable offer would be a Marlboro/Yamaha deal.

But I did say there was some racing. I love the Laguna Seca track, and seeing them drop down the corkscrew is just incredible. I don’t think there is any other single corner as exciting and dramatic as that anywhere else, and I can just imagine what it must feel like to do it. It’s just one of those places, and once you have been there in person you are even more in awe as you know how steep that drop really is! I really doubt I would dare go through there on a bike at any sort of track speed, that’s how steep the place is.

Which brings me to Bradl. He has never raced here before since the smaller categories don’t make the trip. Mind you, I don’t know why they don’t since there are no more 2 strokes, and that was the excuse before. Bradl had come over and did a track day on a road bike earlier so that he had at least been around the track and had some idea as to the corners, but seriously that has nothing to do with racing a MotoGP bike around there. Honestly, even if Nicky got the better of him, the way he was hanging with the Tech3 guys for such a long time, keeping Nicky (somebody who has won here twice in the past!) behind him almost to the end, made Stefan’s ride the ride of the day. He’s been extremely impressive the last couple of races and is without a doubt the rookie of the year. To be honest, a factory team should really consider the guy for next year. Think about what Elias was doing on that bike last year, and his exploit is even greater.

Going up a bit in the standings, we had the Tech3 boys riding the whole race together. They did provide some excitement, but with Laguna Seca being a really tough track to pass on and Dovi being some damn late on the brakes, Cal just could never have a go. They do have different riding styles, but their lap times are damn close and would both deserve to get Spies’ bike next year. But as I mentioned earlier, Rossi is holding the cards…

Ah yes, speaking of the Ben, what the hell happened? He was doing okay there in fourth, actually increasing the gap to the T3 twins, and then it looked like his rear suspension collapsed in the compression after the corkscrew. Whatever it was, it was a real bummer for him, but then this whole season has been a bummer for him!

Finally, up front we got a bit of a race between the regular trio. Well, Pedrosa was never quite fast enough to get at Stoner and Lorenzo, and after he nearly lost it I think he realized that himself. Still, he was close. After having had Stoner looking set to pounce on Jorge in the first few laps, I then though Lorenzo was set to walk away with it. He is so damn consistent and smooth, and he was just managing to keep those slightly faster lap times, lap after lap. That was until he had a serious moment at the entrance to the corkscrew! Casey must have seen that, and decided that Lorenzo was on the limit, and he just went for it then. The pass was strange in the way that it went so easily. It almost looked like Jorge missed a gear, even though he didn’t, and Stoner just flew by. Jorge just didn’t have enough left to try and get the first place back, and I am sure he must have been thinking about the championship there as well.

All in all, pretty entertaining racing, with some beautiful slow motion images to spice things up. But, man I miss it when we don’t get the Moto2 and Moto3 races! Bring on Indy….
Henrik
Henrik
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Laguna Seca Empty Re: Laguna Seca

Post by TopContender Wed Aug 01 2012, 00:22

Rossi is gone. After that spill he is out of there.

Colin indicated he was not happy with the CRT setup. I guess he was promised much more and didn't get it.
TopContender
TopContender
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Henrik Wed Aug 01 2012, 10:44

I am not sure why you think that crash will have made up Rossi's mind? Let's not forget that he has already been at Yamaha alongside Lorenzo, and it did not work out. If anything, Lorenzo is faster today than he was back then, and Rossi, well it's not like riding the Ducati and getting on in the years has made him better...

To me he has two options. Stay with Ducati another year and cash in some serious money, or quit MotoGP and go to Superbike. The only other "face saving" alternative in MotoGP would have been the Honda rumour where he would have been mentor to a young rookie.
Henrik
Henrik
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by TopContender Wed Aug 01 2012, 14:18

I figured it from the way he was caught off guard in the slow portion of the track.
TopContender
TopContender
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by H8R Sat Aug 04 2012, 18:11

Rossi was with, or ahead of Lorenzo until the cold tire crash that broke his leg. If memory serves Rossi also beat Lorenzo after the crash.

I believe that Vale still has it in him. I also believe that if Vale brings Marlboro to Yamaha we will see something akin to Prost and Senna being on the same team. The politics and backstabbing could reach epic proportions, with Vale eventually getting the better parts etc...because of his fan base and the money that Marlboro is putting into the team.

I could be wrong.
H8R
H8R
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down