ShamuCroaks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rossi, Yamaha, and Marlboro

4 posters

Go down

Rossi, Yamaha, and Marlboro Empty Rossi, Yamaha, and Marlboro

Post by H8R Sun Jul 22 2012, 03:24

Anyone else hearing this rumor?

I wonder what kind of push Audi will make to keep Vale...if any.
H8R
H8R
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Rossi, Yamaha, and Marlboro Empty Re: Rossi, Yamaha, and Marlboro

Post by Henrik Sun Jul 22 2012, 19:32

Yep, heard the rumor. I would say that anything is possible, and given the merchandising value Vale has it could easily happen. I think Audi would want him to stays with Ducati though, and this could simply be a way of improving the financial arrangement.
Henrik
Henrik
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by TopContender Thu Jul 26 2012, 03:06

TopContender
TopContender
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Henrik Thu Jul 26 2012, 13:57

Indeed, I read this the other day and was going to post something about it. I waited because there is so much that is unclear about this story.

For starters, The Ben going to WSBK is a big possibility, and one that I certainly would enjoy. Joining BMW seems strange though as BMW has just announced that they are pulling out of WSBK. They will have one or two bikes lined up with the Italian BMW team, with Melandri confirmed as a rider. It was then thought that a possible second bike would be for Haslam or Badovini, but I suppose they might decide to take Ben. As the article states, this could be interesting should BMW be working on a MotoGP entry.

There are however a number of alternatives I think in WSBK. Aprilia has not had much luck with their second factory riders, and even if Laverty has his moments of brilliance his performance has been no way near that of Max. Also, as Max will probably retire fairly soon (I wonder if he wins the title this year, he will decide to call it quits) and having a young Ben join them could be a good long term bet.

Kawasaki has been getting much better this year with Sykes racking up the pole positions. Last Sunday in Brno he came oh so close to finally properly winning a race in normal conditions, which shows they are clearly improving on the tire issues they have been experiencing. Hell, Loris even got a podium in the first race! I think it would be a huge boost for them to snap up Ben.

Honda is a bit down in the dumps. Johnny Rea is pushing hard (Donington!!!) on the bike, but the results are not really there. Aoyam is having a nightmare of a season, and it may be that they would like to be up front again.

I don't really know about Suzuki. They are doing okay in BSB, but in WSBK they are not really there (Hopkins anyone?). So that would leave Ducati, and one really has to wonder what their future in WSBK is going to be. Scott Smart is really struggling on the Panigale over in BSB, so it does not seem as if that bike is anywhere near championship level. Then again, we all know the success they have had in the past in WSBK, and putting Ben on a all new bike for next year could be really interesting.

Get Haga to move back from BSB to WSBK and the 2013 WSBK championship could be one hell of a season!!!
Henrik
Henrik
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Henrik Thu Jul 26 2012, 14:08

Okay, I have a few more things to say...

First of all, the big question really is what has gone wrong at Yamaha. We know how talented Ben is, and looking at Lorenzo we know the M1 is more than capable of winning races. So what's up? Why was Ben's rear tire spewing chunks (like Rossi's) the other weekend, when Jorge was fine? I don't think it is the riding style, even if Jorge is an incredibly smooth rider (just look at the difference between Jorge and Stoner!). Back in the Rossi/Edwards era at Yamaha, there was always talk that Rossi got all the good bits, and Colin was more of a test/developer rider to help Rossi go faster. I suppose that it is fair to say that having won several world titles this way in the past, Yamaha would continue to apply this solution still today. Ben probably had a lot more freedom to ride like he can while on the Tech 3 bike than now as rider 2 in the factory team, and I really don't think he is enjoying it. I always wondered why Colin put up with it...

So, looking at that, who would really want to be second rider after Lorenzo? I honestly doubt Rossi would go for it. We saw how it went last time he was paired up with him, and I don't think it would be any better the second time around. However, a rider like Dovi just wants that factory bike, and to be honest his performance this year gives him the right to it. I suppose Cal would be a good alternative, and from a marketing point of view possibly a good idea, but if they think about it Yamaha will give Dovi at least a one year deal.

So what will Rossi do? It is almost painful to watch him on the Ducati. He had a good race at Mugello, after a dreadful qualifying. There was then hope that Ducati had some new good bits they were to test after the race. Turns out these are no improvement at all, so after having gotten everybody's hopes up, it has all deflated even more! Damn it, Ducati can make good bikes and Rossi can ride a bit, so what the hell?!
Henrik
Henrik
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by TopContender Mon Jul 30 2012, 19:58

After this weekend, I predict Rossi is gone. He has to have the "get me the hell out of here" frame of mind after crashing like that.

Last edited by TopContender on Thu Aug 09 2012, 04:31; edited 1 time in total
TopContender
TopContender
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by H8R Sat Aug 04 2012, 17:57

Ben was forced into the roll of test rider, constantly testing new bits for Jorge. Ben was also forced into riding a setup similar to Jorges. All of which explains a lot of his tire issues, and crashes. From my understanding he couldn't get out of there fast enough.
H8R
H8R
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by H8R Sat Aug 04 2012, 17:59

I also just heard that Audi is offering Vale all the development he wants for next year...but they want a two year contract at a minimum.

The above could be complete bullshit...but it is from someone I trust over in MotoGP.

How long until Rossi is racing a Diesel Audi MotoGP bike? LOL
H8R
H8R
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Henrik Sat Aug 04 2012, 18:19

And I heard yesterday that there is a 4 year deal with Yamaha Marlboro in the cards for Rossi. Do two more years in MotoGP, and the finish off with two in WSBK. Sounds like somebody's pipe dream, but it could be nice...
Henrik
Henrik
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by H8R Sat Aug 04 2012, 18:22

Henrik wrote:And I heard yesterday that there is a 4 year deal with Yamaha Marlboro in the cards for Rossi. Do two more years in MotoGP, and the finish off with two in WSBK. Sounds like somebody's pipe dream, but it could be nice...

That sounds like a fan's dream, and a pretty good one. I wouldn't mind seeing Vale in WSBK...I think it be great.
H8R
H8R
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Henrik Sat Aug 04 2012, 18:29

I so wish he would get to WSBK while Max is still there! It would probably bury MotoGP and Dorna though, which might not be a bad thing.
Henrik
Henrik
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by H8R Sat Aug 04 2012, 18:37

Henrik wrote:I so wish he would get to WSBK while Max is still there! It would probably bury MotoGP and Dorna though, which might not be a bad thing.

I like watching Max meltdown. It would be epic!
H8R
H8R
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by TopContender Thu Aug 09 2012, 04:33

http://m.motomatters.com/analysis/2012/08/07/this_time_for_real_yamaha_to_announce_ro.html

There it is, Rossi to Yamaha. Wow Ducati island is gonna be very interesting two days after the signing. I'm bringing a camera.
TopContender
TopContender
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Henrik Thu Aug 09 2012, 13:40

I read that article the other day, and it does seem real. Still, I will wait for the official announcement before accepting it is a done deal...
Henrik
Henrik
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by H8R Fri Aug 10 2012, 07:55

Word is the announcement will happen this Friday morning at Indy.
H8R
H8R
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by TopContender Fri Aug 10 2012, 13:39

I saw that. They are wasting no time. I wonder where.
TopContender
TopContender
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by PLAYLIFE Thu Aug 16 2012, 09:15

Big news.

At least getting beaten by Lorenzo is better than getting beaten by Hayden.
PLAYLIFE
PLAYLIFE
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down