ShamuCroaks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WSBK 2012 Philip Island

4 posters

Go down

WSBK 2012 Philip Island Empty WSBK 2012 Philip Island

Post by Henrik Mon Feb 27 2012, 13:23

The 2012 season has begun!

I am suprised that there has not been a comment yet from H8R, but maybe he is just getting old... Anyway, the racing kicked off yesterday down under, and there was some great action to be had.

First race started out sort of like how the 2011 season ended, with Checa taking off early on. Biaggi was on to him though, and soon began piling the pressure on. Surprisingly Checa ended up making a mistake in turn 15 having a massive highside! Looked bad, but Carlos was able to walk away from it. After this, Biaggi had an easy time up front to win his first race of the season. Behind him Melandri was doing some good stuff on the BMW, taking his time to get up to speed though.

In race 2, Checa obviously did not want to make the same mistake again, and his task was simplified with Biaggi running off the track in the first turn, removing any realy pressure on the Spaniard. Biaggi didn't crash though, and was able to make it back on to the track dead last. He then began an amazing race...

Max passed racer after racer, and it soon became clear that he would most likely be able to make it to the podium. Checa was too far ahead to be caught, but Max faught hard to make it in to second.

The fight for third was great between Rea on the Honda and Sykes on the Kawasaki. The last two laps were pretty intense between the two, and it was finally Sykes how took home the last podium position.

Max and the RSV4 are looking extremely good for this season. Philip Island is a track where the Ducati has always been good, and the fastest bike does always get out ahead, yet Max really dominated. If it wasn't for his off in race two he would have walked away with both races. Let's see if he will make less mistakes than what he has in the past, and he is likely to take back the WSBK crown again.
Henrik
Henrik
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

WSBK 2012 Philip Island Empty Re: WSBK 2012 Philip Island

Post by H8R Mon Feb 27 2012, 19:23

Old and sick Henrik. I basically slept all weekend trying to get healthy enough to go to work on Monday.

I haven't seen the races yet...but after reading your race reports I'm really looking forward to it. I woke up on the couch yesterday about 1/2 hour before race one was to be televised here in the States...and thought to myself I would watch it...I then I woke up again 5 hours later. LOL

I'm wondering when Ducati will put the full court press on the FIM/WSBK to take the newly added kilo's for 2012 back off. Checa was already saying that the weight was costing him 15kph into Doohan corner. Actually I'm not wondering when...I think they already have.

I really am expecting more out of Melandri and the BMW this year. Should be interesting.

Also...I can't help but feeling like Tom Sykes and Kawasaki are in for a tough year. I like Tom, and I'd love to see Kawi challenge...but I always get this sick feeling from them.

Bummer about Chaz and Hopper...I hope they get well and back up to pace soon.
H8R
H8R
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Henrik Mon Feb 27 2012, 19:44

I like Melandri as well, and was really bummed when Yamaha decided to pull out. He was great to watch last year, and I am sure he will do some good things this year on the Beemer. As always I am cheering on Haslam as well, and he was incredible this weekend. Having crashed and broken his leg earlier in the week, he was operated on Thursday to fix it and back on the bike on Friday. It was just his leg that was broken, his foot as well. Still, in race two he was up there fighting for it!

Both Kawas were good in race two, and Lascorze was doing great until going off. I think we can expect to see a bit more green up front all year.

About Ducati I am sure they will be bitching about the weight. That said, I can't wait to see the new 1199 Panigale in WSBK but that will not be until next year. Brings to mind a test I recently read on the bike. They were saying something like "the engine is brutal! Okay, it is not quite a Moto Morini, but still..." Made me smile, and I had to bring my Morini out yesterday just to have the engine running for a bit. Soon I will be riding again!!

Henrik
Henrik
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by H8R Mon Feb 27 2012, 19:53

I forgot about Haslam. Damn...what a man.

I'm sort of against the Ape vs. Duc fight. I really want to see a Japanese mfg. engaged in the fight along with BMW.

I haven't heard much about the 1099 Panigale...other than it may have the same stressed member issue that the MotoGP bike had. Which is also why I heard they were giving the 1098 another year at the WSBK level.

Did the Panigale run in any of the support classes Henrik? If so how did it do?
H8R
H8R
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Henrik Mon Feb 27 2012, 21:44

As far as I know they are only running the Panigale in some domestic superstock classes around Europe. I think they want to test it properly and prepare for next year.

So far there has been no indication of a problem with the stressed member, but then again I don't it has actually raced yet.

But I agree about wanting to see some more Japanese bikes. I really miss the Yamahas, and the Hondas aren't looking too hot even if Rea got a podium. Then the Suzukis, well let's just wait a bit on those.
Henrik
Henrik
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by PLAYLIFE Tue Feb 28 2012, 04:13

Not sure if you guys saw but it was reported here on the news.

17 year old Oscar McIntyre lost his life in the 600cc Superstock race on Saturday afternoon. From what I understand, he was off the bike when struck by other riders.

This was why WSBK Superpole was cancelled.

RIP Oscar
PLAYLIFE
PLAYLIFE
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Henrik Tue Feb 28 2012, 08:16

Thanks for the update Playlife. I hadn't actually seen that, and the commentators didn't mention it during the race. I was wondering why they cancelled the superpole though, but figured it was down to normal Philip Island weather.

Really sorry to read that, and not a good way to start the WSBK season.

Henrik
Henrik
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Revs Wed Feb 29 2012, 03:08

PLAYLIFE wrote:Not sure if you guys saw but it was reported here on the news.

17 year old Oscar McIntyre lost his life in the 600cc Superstock race on Saturday afternoon. From what I understand, he was off the bike when struck by other riders.

This was why WSBK Superpole was cancelled.

RIP Oscar

Yeah, it was a horrible accident... and so young! Sad

RIP Oscar
Revs
Revs
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down