ShamuCroaks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Americas Cup

+2
eso
Henrik
6 posters

Go down

Americas Cup Empty Americas Cup

Post by Henrik Sun Feb 14 2010, 17:45

After all the silly legal arguments going backwards and forwards, I suppose the real losers are all of us that are interested in sailing, as well as all the other challengers. Still, the Cup has finally gotten under way, and I bet Larry Ellison must be pleased to see that he may finally take the victory.

Oracle won the first race, and is now leading the second one. I suppose what is a bit of a concern for Alinghi is that the Oracle BMW boat seems to be faster also in light winds.

Hopefully the next edition can be a proper one again...
Henrik
Henrik
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Americas Cup Empty Re: Americas Cup

Post by eso Sun Feb 14 2010, 19:01

Game, set, match BMW Oracle racing.

Yes, it is a shame that half the action took place in court rooms. Americas Cup is following F1 in that regard.

Beautiful yachts though, and technologically brilliant.

eso
eso
eso
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

http://www.esodesignstudio.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Henrik Sun Feb 14 2010, 19:52

Oh well....

It really sucks that it was over in two races. Millions and millions spent on those magnigificent boats, and now it is all over. I suppose the boats will never really be used for much else either.

I have read that Alinghi are planning on bringing the boat back here to the Lake Geneva to try and break some speed records, so I am hoping to be able to get a closer look at it.

Nothing against the US winning the cup back, but I really can't stand that arrogant bastard Larry Ellison.
Henrik
Henrik
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by eso Sun Feb 14 2010, 20:03

Henrik wrote:Nothing against the US winning the cup back, but I really can't stand that arrogant bastard Larry Ellison.

Well, you can take some solace in knowing that both boats owe the bigger part of their technology to the French and their big open ocean-going multi-hull development...

eso
eso
eso
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Henrik Sun Feb 14 2010, 20:15

Indeed, the French lead the way in the multi hull development. It's just that for me the America's Cup is supposed to be about single hull yachts. They can keep those fabulous multi hulls for ocean crossings and round the world races etc...

This whole thing just brings me back to 1988 and Stars and Stripes catamaran racing the huge New Zealand single hull.
Henrik
Henrik
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by eso Sun Feb 14 2010, 20:47

Henrik wrote:Indeed, the French lead the way in the multi hull development. It's just that for me the America's Cup is supposed to be about single hull yachts. They can keep those fabulous multi hulls for ocean crossings and round the world races etc...

This whole thing just brings me back to 1988 and Stars and Stripes catamaran racing the huge New Zealand single hull.

Which year was Freemantle? THAT was some serious sloop match racing.

I suspect that the next defense will be in single hulls in the San Francisco area. The multis were trying to optimize the light wind conditions in Valencia.

eso
eso
eso
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Henrik Sun Feb 14 2010, 21:46

I am sure now we will be back to proper single hulls, and they will indeed look stunning in the Bay! Hopefully the Kiwis can again win it with their own boat then...
Henrik
Henrik
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Revs Mon Feb 15 2010, 05:57

Henrik wrote:I am sure now we will be back to proper single hulls, and they will indeed look stunning in the Bay! Hopefully the Kiwis can again win it with their own boat then...

little off topic, but, i did a search on the america's cup - because i havent heard a thing on it at all, and was surprised its alreadty over - and i found this video link about allinghi... man i'd love one of these.

great track!
Revs
Revs
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Henrik Mon Feb 15 2010, 09:02

Revs, those are pretty cool, but the Alinghi Defender for the Americas cup is a slightly bigger catamaran.

Americas Cup Alinghi-sailing-sunglasses

Here is the BMW Oracle trimaran monster:

Americas Cup Bmw-oracale-trimaran-006
Henrik
Henrik
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Revs Mon Feb 15 2010, 09:20

yeah, i found heaps of stuff on those monsters aswell (the mast on the US entry in stupifying), i just got carried away following the rabbit warren. Smile
Revs
Revs
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by H8R Mon Feb 15 2010, 14:33

We'd always go down to the Harbor in San Diego to watch the America's Cup...The single hulls were just beautiful.

I completely missed this thread and the race...I guess Arizona doesn't give a shit, what harbor is the cup going back to...anyone know?
H8R
H8R
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by eso Mon Feb 15 2010, 18:01

H8R wrote:We'd always go down to the Harbor in San Diego to watch the America's Cup...The single hulls were just beautiful.

I completely missed this thread and the race...I guess Arizona doesn't give a shit, what harbor is the cup going back to...anyone know?

It should be San Francisco.

I think Alinghi's mast was ~270', and I haven't heard a figure on Oracle but it is considerably taller. The building I just finished is a little over 300' at the roof, maybe 320 at the top of the parapet. Thinking about a mast that tall is crazy.

eso
eso
eso
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by H8R Mon Feb 15 2010, 18:24

eso wrote:
H8R wrote:We'd always go down to the Harbor in San Diego to watch the America's Cup...The single hulls were just beautiful.

I think Alinghi's mast was ~270', and I haven't heard a figure on Oracle but it is considerably taller. The building I just finished is a little over 300' at the roof, maybe 320 at the top of the parapet. Thinking about a mast that tall is crazy.

eso

Interesting.....the height of the mast will limit the harbors it can get into. San Diego is most definetly out...since the Coronado Bay Bridge is only 200 feet or so from the water at high tide.
H8R
H8R
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by eso Mon Feb 15 2010, 19:11

H8R wrote:
eso wrote:

eso

Interesting.....the height of the mast will limit the harbors it can get into. San Diego is most definetly out...since the Coronado Bay Bridge is only 200 feet or so from the water at high tide.

I don't think they'd have that problem with the Golden Gate...
eso
eso
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by gueuzeman Mon Feb 15 2010, 19:35

Lemme guess- BMW had to leave F1 as a car manufacturer because they spent all their money on a boat?

scratch
gueuzeman
gueuzeman
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by TopContender Mon Feb 15 2010, 23:40

gueuzeman wrote:Lemme guess- BMW had to leave F1 as a car manufacturer because they spent all their money on a boat?

scratch

Yeah, but it was a really BIG boat!
TopContender
TopContender
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Henrik Tue Feb 16 2010, 09:04

Here is a better picture of the BMW Oracle boat, with the wing sail that iss what really made the difference. Amazing teechnology, but not easy to handle when not sailing and very fragile.

Americas Cup Oraclewingsailing3
Henrik
Henrik
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum