ShamuCroaks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

an intellectual question regarding political correctness and equality.

+3
Gelert
Danny Boy
glendo
7 posters

Go down

an intellectual question regarding political correctness and equality. Empty an intellectual question regarding political correctness and equality.

Post by glendo Sun Nov 15 2009, 13:23

we all must admit, that we as a human race have come a long way in a century.

how far we have to go, is another story. my question is all about the present.

now it's obvious that in the medias/governments throughout the world that there is a massive push for 'non-offensive', and politically correct and neutral societies and citizens. religious, racial tolerances are the big debates of the world today, and every week we here of some extreme decision being made in the name of not offending anyone.

my question is: is it actually making the world a better place? or have we gone too far?

-they are trying to ban the words "HO HO HO" from santa clause's mouth, because it may offend women!

- they are trying to ban the cross from being in classrooms in italy because it is not secular, or fair to non-christians.

- and the list grows week by week, day by day, hour by hour.

now, a lot of these have a valid argument, or are a step forward in the world in a mixed world that we live in, but to what point does it all stop? does is always improve society? do we all have to be the same in every aspect of our lives, be bland colourless people just for the sake of not offending anyone?

it seems that it heading towards a point where we will all wear large bedsheets, that are grey or white because someone will be offended by a particular colour, and that if it is too tight it offends someone.

now, for the record i totally agree that discrimination, apartheid, holocaust, segregation, ethnic cleansing have been horrendously ugly marks on mankind's past. im personally happy that south africa has no apartheid, the berlin wall is gone, and that african americans are not lynched.

but to what limits does political correctness have? is it to spread through every bastion of a society
''just in case'' it offends someone? (noting that it probably does not).

- how about the offended? are they now too sensitive?
- is this the consequence of a lawyer-sue-compensation/damages culture?
- is this the root side effect of mass immigration?
- is this the agenda of mass media?

i am only 32 yrs old, but i have noticed just how ridiculous it is becoming in this day and age. i personally am not religious, and not overly sensitive to much in this world, but i am getting tired of the ways of the world where now the majority now seem to have to change for the minority. we seem to live in a world where we preach the understanding and acceptance of differences, so long as the differences are almost the same.

does it seem to you the consequence of this PC/EO world we are striving to build ( or is being rammed down our throats ) is in fact a world with more rules, restrictions and warnings, than a more free-liberating world?

thats my 10cents.
glendo
glendo
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

an intellectual question regarding political correctness and equality. Empty Re: an intellectual question regarding political correctness and equality.

Post by Danny Boy Sun Nov 15 2009, 18:00

America, outside of Israel, is the most racist country in the World and is carrying on with it's blatant disregard of Human Right under the leadership of the Worlds latest Uncle Tom;

Murdoch, and is media empire, is pursuing a "hate all Muslims Policy" in the UK;

South Africa Blacks are worse off now, than before apartheid, and the rest of Africa is drowning in a sea of corruption;

Russia and many parts of the Old Soviet Block, are violently asserting their rights over other people living in the country;

Pakistan, Afghanistan and Iraq are waiting to the next terrorist attack, thanks to America and it's Christian Right/Zionist crusade;

Many parts of Europe are flooded with illegal immigrants who are an ever increasing drain on those countries resources;

Woman, from the 4 corners of the world, are being coerced into the Sex Trade;

I wont even go to the conditions the Palestinian are living in, while Uncle Tom speaks brave words, that are nothing short of bullshit, about the road map (maybe if America stopped the 5 Billion $'s a year aid it gives Israel, they might listen, sorry, I've just burst into a bout of hysterical and uncontrolled laughter);

The media might pretend that we are approaching a "New World" but a small scratch on the surface, reveals we are being led by some of the most vile people in history.
Danny Boy
Danny Boy
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

an intellectual question regarding political correctness and equality. Empty Re: an intellectual question regarding political correctness and equality.

Post by Gelert Sun Nov 15 2009, 19:48

glendo wrote:i am only 32 yrs old...
As a 47+ yr old, I find your stance to be completely ageist...!

I demand that, in the interests of Fair Play and Political Correctness, you either become 47+ years old immediately - or never mention age again...!

After all, the great thing about 47 year-olds, is that there's forty of them...

...er, it sez 'ere... Embarassed

Gelert
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by glendo Sun Nov 15 2009, 20:08

now here's a question:

am i allowed to not like a particular culture without being seen as racist? lets just say that for the sake of the question its 'antarticans'. in this day and age can you stand up and say: "i dislike or i dont particularly like antarticans much. i dont like their food, their culture doesnt interest me at all, and their appearance is ugly".

now to me thats not racist. i dont hate them, go out of my way to annoy them, or call for them to be exterminated. i just dont like them. i believe i still have the right to like or dislike who i choose, without being racist. to me racism is hating all others, and actually going out of your way to show it.

as for the whole tv/mass media hype of today's world, i analysed it to be this: they strive to appeal to everyone, as if they spread to all tastes and kinds of people they will get a bigger audience. because they want to appeal to the every audience they tow a middle line, attempting not to offend anyone. but now they feel as since they are towing this middle line, they remark when someone does not.

DB, i agree with so much of what you said as well. we put up posters and facades of one campaign, whilst the we as a society are actually doing the opposite.
glendo
glendo
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Trixie Mon Nov 16 2009, 17:09

Wow.

Yes, as another 47er I find your post ageist. Wink

I think PCism has gone too far, and as DB states it hasn't solved our problems. The problem is, people still hate.

Yes, I think the antartica statement is racist. Because you aren't judging each person individually. Then again, that's hard for us to do. We stereotype for a reason, and it makes us better able to handle the large world around us. We just need to be open-minded enough to know that there are exceptions to every rule.

Right now in IL there's this huge stupid ass thing about not wanting muslims to come here from guantanamo. And that's coming from a Rep (Kirk - whom I hate), who represents a hugely Jewish district. Talk about hypocricy.

I don't like being pegholed because I'm a woman or because I'm a Jew, although I'll agree that a lot of the stereotypes for each group ring true to a large portion of each group -- that's how stereotypes are made.

Trixie
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny Boy Mon Nov 16 2009, 18:25

Trixie wrote:
I don't like being pegholed because I'm a woman or because I'm a Jew, although I'll agree that a lot of the stereotypes for each group ring true to a large portion of each group -- that's how stereotypes are made.

Not sure about that, Take you for instance, there are millions of Jews who are totally opposed to the policies carried out, almost without exception, of the Israel governments since 1948.

There are millions of Muslims who are ashamed of the Taliban and Al Qaeda.

There are tens of thousands of immigrants, including 1st, 2nd and 3rd generation, that are not scrounging off the state in various European Countries.

You get my drift? The problem is, Murdoch, and his ilk, are never going to let the public know about them. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Danny Boy
Danny Boy
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by glendo Tue Nov 17 2009, 00:03

Trixie wrote:

Yes, I think the antartica statement is racist. Because you aren't judging each person individually. Then again, that's hard for us to do. We stereotype for a reason, and it makes us better able to handle the large world around us. We just need to be open-minded enough to know that there are exceptions to every rule.

that is one of my points i was wondering about. my aim was to say that because i choose not to like a culture in its entirety it assumes that i am actively racist towards them. i think there is a difference between a personaly dislike, and racism towards them. personally if i do not like the culture doesnt mean i am going out of my way to stop them living in my neighbourhood or coming into my restaurant etc..

i see it more as flavours of ice cream. PC demands that you like every flavour thats available, whereas i am trying to say that i dont like coffee flavoured, or strawberry icecream. doesnt mean i wish for it to be removed from every store in the country. not liking it is one thing, but attempting to remove it i see that as racism.

i totally agree with you trixie, as your quote above say we should be open-minded for exceptions.
glendo
glendo
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by gueuzeman Sat Nov 21 2009, 15:32

I hate all 47 year old Antarticans. Aside from that I'm brain dead from too much work. Interesting thoughts by all, I need to think a bit.

gueuzeman
gueuzeman
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Revs Thu Feb 25 2010, 04:00

Revs
Revs
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by RacerX Sat Mar 06 2010, 03:04

Glendo...I'm rolling on the lfoor with laughter. I LOVE this thread. Although, unfortunately, I am going to have to side with the others here...you see I'm 45 and you sir, are an ageist!

On the flip side, you're correct, the world has become too sensitive, people are too wussified. Whatever happened to sticks and stone versus words?

Anyways, now I won't be able to sleep tonight after thinking about those poor, poor Antartcians (or whatever the hell you named them). You're a mean man, Glendo...LOL a mean man.

Great read, thought invoking and fun all at the same time. Thanks!
RacerX
RacerX
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny Boy Sat Mar 06 2010, 05:02

Just for Racer X, here is a London Bus from last year;

an intellectual question regarding political correctness and equality. Bus-home

And here is a news report from the Guardian Read all about it
Danny Boy
Danny Boy
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by RacerX Wed Mar 10 2010, 00:30

DB,

Thanks...I actually liked the article. Kind of funny, to a point. The best quote was:

Hanne Stinson said: "We all, whether we have religious or non-religious beliefs, have a right to be heard, and no one particular set of beliefs has any more right to influence the public debate than any other. The message isn't aimed at people with religious beliefs – it's aimed at atheists and agnostics."

Doesn't matter to whom the message is aimed at. I actually like it, and I agree. My biggest beef with "religion" is the way many try to shove it down your throat. To me, that seems to drive more people away from God, than to him.

Also have to agree with your other comment about being led by some of the most vile people ever...it's definitely F'd up. When you look at people as a whole, they aren't much different than anyone else, anywhere else in the world. We all work hard to give our family stability, shelter, food, and hopefully some play time. It's those that lead the masses that seem to be so freakin' hateful of so many others. Too much greed on this planet...too much greed...whether it's for power, or money, or the simple vanity of controlling others.

Crazy stuff my friend, crazy stuff.

Regards,
RacerX
RacerX
RacerX
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny Boy Wed Mar 10 2010, 05:23

Racer, someone I knew was murdered in London almost 2 years ago, his mother is very religious and her comments to the press made you proud to know her.

There was no hate, just sorrow for both her and the mother of the person who killed her son, the World would be a better place with more like her.

The family have started a Trust, see it here http://www.jimmymizen.org/ and there is plenty of other hits if you google his name.

The mayor of London and various MP's have supported her, but she/the Trust, will not allow them to make publicity out of any meetings, she actually believes in the good of people to come through.
Danny Boy
Danny Boy
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by RacerX Wed Mar 10 2010, 21:19

DB, First, I'm sorry for your loss. The young man's mother IS a great example to us all. I noticed the "donate" button was temprarily down (or under construction). I only read the cover page. Will go back to read the rest later & comment more.

You crack me up at times...

I see a lot of anger in many of your posts, but then you pop something like this on here! This stuff just kills me inside. He didn't even have a chance to live...I'm guessing he was 16? Frusterating stuff...and easily makes one ask why.

I'll take time tonight, to read the rest of the site.

Thanks,
RacerX
RacerX
RacerX
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down