F1 - Does anyone actually enjoy it anymore?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

F1 - Does anyone actually enjoy it anymore?

Post by PLAYLIFE on Wed Aug 04 2010, 08:10

After having been away for a while, I'm a bit surprised how almost every post and thread on F1 is full of negativity.

So the question is, if people don't enjoy it SO much, then why do they keep watching?

It is one of the closest seasons in years, open to 5 drivers to win it (realistically). Sure there's shitty penalties left right and centre, plus SC's which distort the true results and I don't like those particular aspects either, but I still find it enjoyable enough to watch all 3 practice sessions, qualifying and race. In particular, the current QUALIFYING format is probably the best one we've ever had.


There's hardly a single post praising a driver. All it seems to be is slamming someone which is very sad to see, especially given the depth of knowledge of this crew.

avatar
PLAYLIFE
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Posts : 439
Join date : 2010-07-23

Back to top Go down

Re: F1 - Does anyone actually enjoy it anymore?

Post by Danny Boy on Wed Aug 04 2010, 09:26

I think qualifing is a total waste of time, there is no drama:

Q1; the same drivers will go out every time unless there is a problem with one of the more competitive cars.

Q2; the only fun is to see if the "Worlds Best Ever Driver" can get within 5 places of his team mate.

Q3; almost without exception, whichever team has the fastest car on the day, will qualify first.

The race; driver input virtually is nil, unless you are inept, like the "Worlds Best Ever Driver" is this season. The race will be predictable unless there is rain, which can make the race exciting, or, there is a safety car indecent and some totally undeserving driver will reap the benefit and gain undeserved place gains that do nothing to the enjoyment of watching the actual race.

WDC race; this will only be determined by the car, no matter how good the driver is, if luck goes against him, he will be nowhere.

Aftermath of the race; Werner has now conceded that the "Worlds Best Ever Driver" is now a mere shadow of his origonal self (even if some of us thought the title "Worlds Best Ever Driver" was undeserved at any time of his career) so we can't even get enjoyment from baiting him.

Other than that, scratch

On the plus side, Dani's passion is a joy to behold, and we all love each other, so that is an excuse to post nonsensical drivel after most races.


avatar
Danny Boy
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Posts : 495
Join date : 2009-08-02

Back to top Go down

Re: F1 - Does anyone actually enjoy it anymore?

Post by Henrik on Wed Aug 04 2010, 09:45

I quit watching years ago. Having been extremely passionate about F1 for pretty much as long as I can remember, the whole thing really started going downhill after Senna's death. The whole Mosely/Bernie show just made the thing totally corrupt, and what kept me watching for a while longer was really Mika. When he quit I really began losing what little interest I had left. What became newsworthy from then on was just the scandals and cheating going on, which is not to say this sort of thins was not already happening before.

Already in the 90's I had begun switching over to CART which I found much more exciting at the time. The second part of the 90's really was the top for CART, and there were some outstanding racing going on there. Unfortunately, like with F1, internal politics killed it with the whole IRL vs Champ Car debacle.

I suppose the good thing for me was that I was then able to bring my focus on my true love in motorsports, which is the bike racing. Seriously, there is no comparison. The racing is million times better, and the riders are still true heroes there unlike the robots found in F1. For sure Dorna is doing what they can to mess things up in MotoGP, but the racing is still just amazing. Then there is the WSBK which is just fabulous, as are the various feeder categories like Moto2, 125 and WSS. Seriously, how passionate can you get about F2 or whatever it is called today?

So, my interest in F1 is summed up by what I read on here. As I mentioned in a previous post, I just happened to catch a few minutes from the Hokkenheim race, and I can't say I liked what I saw.

_________________

Good motor racing still exists today; it's just not called F1.
avatar
Henrik
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Posts : 1347
Join date : 2009-08-01
Age : 52
Location : Switzerland

Back to top Go down

Re: F1 - Does anyone actually enjoy it anymore?

Post by PLAYLIFE on Wed Aug 04 2010, 10:33

Danny Boy wrote:I think qualifing is a total waste of time, there is no drama:

Q1; the same drivers will go out every time unless there is a problem with one of the more competitive cars.

Q2; the only fun is to see if the "Worlds Best Ever Driver" can get within 5 places of his team mate.

Q3; almost without exception, whichever team has the fastest car on the day, will qualify first.

The race; driver input virtually is nil, unless you are inept, like the "Worlds Best Ever Driver" is this season. The race will be predictable unless there is rain, which can make the race exciting, or, there is a safety car indecent and some totally undeserving driver will reap the benefit and gain undeserved place gains that do nothing to the enjoyment of watching the actual race.

WDC race; this will only be determined by the car, no matter how good the driver is, if luck goes against him, he will be nowhere.

Aftermath of the race; Werner has now conceded that the "Worlds Best Ever Driver" is now a mere shadow of his origonal self (even if some of us thought the title "Worlds Best Ever Driver" was undeserved at any time of his career) so we can't even get enjoyment from baiting him.

Other than that, scratch

On the plus side, Dani's passion is a joy to behold, and we all love each other, so that is an excuse to post nonsensical drivel after most races.





Fair comments, but I don't think it's particularly different to F1 in the past. The biggest difference in terms of the racing is that there are hardly any reliability problems.

I just recently re-watched the entire 1980 season. To say it was rather boring is an understatement.

I think perhaps people's perception of the past is distorted, how everything was so much better. Sure, some aspects were, but a lot of it wasn't.

80s/90s quali for example, a 1 hour session where you'd only see any real action in the last 10 minutes. For the first 30, you follow an Osella around the track for 4 laps looking like an amateur.

I've got the 1978 Italian GP qualifying session on tape too - besides it having Italian commentary, it's actually quite boring.
avatar
PLAYLIFE
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Posts : 439
Join date : 2010-07-23

Back to top Go down

Re: F1 - Does anyone actually enjoy it anymore?

Post by PLAYLIFE on Wed Aug 04 2010, 10:40

Henrik wrote:I quit watching years ago. Having been extremely passionate about F1 for pretty much as long as I can remember, the whole thing really started going downhill after Senna's death. The whole Mosely/Bernie show just made the thing totally corrupt, and what kept me watching for a while longer was really Mika. When he quit I really began losing what little interest I had left. What became newsworthy from then on was just the scandals and cheating going on, which is not to say this sort of thins was not already happening before.

Already in the 90's I had begun switching over to CART which I found much more exciting at the time. The second part of the 90's really was the top for CART, and there were some outstanding racing going on there. Unfortunately, like with F1, internal politics killed it with the whole IRL vs Champ Car debacle.

I suppose the good thing for me was that I was then able to bring my focus on my true love in motorsports, which is the bike racing. Seriously, there is no comparison. The racing is million times better, and the riders are still true heroes there unlike the robots found in F1. For sure Dorna is doing what they can to mess things up in MotoGP, but the racing is still just amazing. Then there is the WSBK which is just fabulous, as are the various feeder categories like Moto2, 125 and WSS. Seriously, how passionate can you get about F2 or whatever it is called today?

So, my interest in F1 is summed up by what I read on here. As I mentioned in a previous post, I just happened to catch a few minutes from the Hokkenheim race, and I can't say I liked what I saw.


I've been watching MotoGP since I can remember also and love it as well. But I don't think it's comparing apples with apples. There are many boring MotoGP races too, but there's no denying that it is nothing short of spectacular how those guys hand onto those machines.

But similarly with F1, the speeds those things move at is mind boggling. In person, you're totally blown away, taking Copse in Silverstone flat is insane!! Perhaps it's the TV which lacks bringing the excitement to the viewer at home? The longer shots destroy the perception of speed. It's not until you see a still camera at the base of Eau Rouge that you realise how insane the speeds are.

90's CART was awesome. Similarly so is GP2. But a lot of that excitement is created because of the capacity of the drivers, they tend to make a lot more errors and of course being spec series adds another closeness and excitement factor to it. Again, they're a different category to pure bred prototypes.

The Le Mans 24 hour, a race I really enjoy, is as boring as hell. I've attended the race a few years ago and in the absence of it not being shown in Oz until a few years ago, would follow it on the radio. A race where you only have to watch 2% of it to know what happens is not exactly awe inspiring!
avatar
PLAYLIFE
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Posts : 439
Join date : 2010-07-23

Back to top Go down

Re: F1 - Does anyone actually enjoy it anymore?

Post by Henrik on Wed Aug 04 2010, 12:05

I have to agree that races back in the 70's and 80's could be very boring. However, even if the qualifying action was mostly in the last 10 minutes, those last 10 minutes where seriously exciting. The best was back when there would be qualifying on Friday as well. Also, MotoGP races can be boring, as can WSBK races. Still, at that point I just enjoy watching the riders pure magic going as fast as they do. The fact that I ride myself obviously has something to do with that.

I think it really comes down to the fact that back then there was no way nearly as much money involved, the drivers had much more character, the cars looked better, and the whole thing was not as corrupt as it is today. For sure politics played a role then too, like Chapman fighting with Enzo, and then Bernie fighting Balestre, but it was not as overwhelming as it is today.

I suppose I have changed too over the years...

_________________

Good motor racing still exists today; it's just not called F1.
avatar
Henrik
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Posts : 1347
Join date : 2009-08-01
Age : 52
Location : Switzerland

Back to top Go down

Re: F1 - Does anyone actually enjoy it anymore?

Post by pabs on Wed Aug 04 2010, 14:52

I have to say I still enjoy it. If I didn't I would have quit watching it, but I can say it I don't enjoy it as much as I used it. I started watching F1 regularly in the 90s and Senna was my idol. There was much more on-track action and, at least for me, politics didn't play much of role in the sport. Know I know they did, but I just didn't see it because I was too young to care.
I suppose the fact that my understanding of the sport has changed over the years has also changed the reasons I enjoy it. For instance, these days with so little on track action (at least at the front), it is hard to see who is the best driver. I think all aero should be banned so we can actually get to see some racing. But I definitely look forward to the teams improving their cars over the season and make the championship interesting. The F-duct, the flexi-wing, the double diffuser last year, all those things are interesting to me and I am definitely enjoying this wide open championship.

pabs
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Posts : 90
Join date : 2009-08-02

Back to top Go down

Re: F1 - Does anyone actually enjoy it anymore?

Post by Gelert on Wed Aug 04 2010, 20:02

Yes.




(Sorry for the Edit... I forgot the Full-Stop. Or "Period" as, I am reliably informed, is the Septic's preferred nomenclature.)

Gelert
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Posts : 693
Join date : 2009-08-02
Age : 105
Location : South Sandwich Islands

Back to top Go down

Re: F1 - Does anyone actually enjoy it anymore?

Post by PLAYLIFE on Thu Aug 05 2010, 02:06

pabs wrote:I have to say I still enjoy it. If I didn't I would have quit watching it, but I can say it I don't enjoy it as much as I used it. I started watching F1 regularly in the 90s and Senna was my idol. There was much more on-track action and, at least for me, politics didn't play much of role in the sport. Know I know they did, but I just didn't see it because I was too young to care.


A good point you raise.

I think the politics were always there, at least since the 1970's when the business started to boom. The whole FISA/FOCA war went on for quite a while, driver strikes in South Africa, Spanish GP being declared non-championship...pretty shambolic if you ask me.

I think the big difference between F1 in this last decade compared to 70s/80s/90s is the MEDIA attention it receives. F1 NEVER used to get the coverage it does now. Tack onto that the INTERNET where everyone is reading and writing new stories hourly let alone daily. I remember in the 80s/90s we'd only read about F1 once a fortnight in the papers, otherwise we wouldn't see diddley squat (at least here in Oz anyway). If it wasn't for the internet, you'd get your weekly or monthly fix through a magazine and that was it. And we all know the more you have of something the less value it has or at least, the you're to take it for granted more.
avatar
PLAYLIFE
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Posts : 439
Join date : 2010-07-23

Back to top Go down

Re: F1 - Does anyone actually enjoy it anymore?

Post by Werner on Sat Aug 07 2010, 02:02

I agree with Pabs. The areo should go. In Montreal this year the Formula Ford race was very exciting even though I did not know who was who.

The other thing they should do is have seperate pit teams and sponsors so there is real racing between team mates.
avatar
Werner
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Posts : 193
Join date : 2009-08-06
Age : 52
Location : Canada's East Coast

Back to top Go down

Re: F1 - Does anyone actually enjoy it anymore?

Post by H8R on Sat Aug 07 2010, 05:43

NO.

But I watch and pray for rain.
avatar
H8R
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Posts : 526
Join date : 2009-08-02
Location : Encinitas, California

Back to top Go down

Re: F1 - Does anyone actually enjoy it anymore?

Post by PLAYLIFE on Mon Aug 09 2010, 05:29

Werner wrote:I agree with Pabs. The areo should go. In Montreal this year the Formula Ford race was very exciting even though I did not know who was who.



Funny you should say that, Montreal was a great race (F1). Cars were passing etc. It was all down the tyres and how quickly they went off, the aero didn't have any effect at all.
avatar
PLAYLIFE
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Posts : 439
Join date : 2010-07-23

Back to top Go down

Re: F1 - Does anyone actually enjoy it anymore?

Post by Werner on Mon Aug 09 2010, 13:12

PLAYLIFE wrote:
Werner wrote:I agree with Pabs. The areo should go. In Montreal this year the Formula Ford race was very exciting even though I did not know who was who.



Funny you should say that, Montreal was a great race (F1). Cars were passing etc. It was all down the tyres and how quickly they went off, the aero didn't have any effect at all.

I agree, Montreal was a great race. However the Formula Ford race was also exciting because there was no influence of areo, and it definitely was driver skill that was highlighted in that race.

Montreal was fairly unique in this season as tires played a larger role than in any other race this year.
avatar
Werner
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Posts : 193
Join date : 2009-08-06
Age : 52
Location : Canada's East Coast

Back to top Go down

Re: F1 - Does anyone actually enjoy it anymore?

Post by PLAYLIFE on Tue Aug 10 2010, 03:01

Does anyone watch GP2 here?
avatar
PLAYLIFE
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Posts : 439
Join date : 2010-07-23

Back to top Go down

Re: F1 - Does anyone actually enjoy it anymore?

Post by da silva on Tue Aug 10 2010, 06:58

I believe we're in a golden era. We've seen some of the most amazing championships ever in the last few years in my opinion. Furthermore, I believe Hamilton and Alonso are as good as anyone of the greats of the past.
avatar
da silva
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Posts : 399
Join date : 2009-08-03

Back to top Go down

Re: F1 - Does anyone actually enjoy it anymore?

Post by Gelert on Tue Aug 10 2010, 20:38

PLAYLIFE wrote:Does anyone watch GP2 here?
Yes.

Gelert
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Posts : 693
Join date : 2009-08-02
Age : 105
Location : South Sandwich Islands

Back to top Go down

Re: F1 - Does anyone actually enjoy it anymore?

Post by PLAYLIFE on Wed Aug 11 2010, 10:01

Gelert wrote:
PLAYLIFE wrote:Does anyone watch GP2 here?
Yes.


I think it's a great series. Mostly due to single spec and inexperienced drivers, entertaining nontheless.
avatar
PLAYLIFE
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Posts : 439
Join date : 2010-07-23

Back to top Go down

Re: F1 - Does anyone actually enjoy it anymore?

Post by Gelert on Thu Aug 12 2010, 21:40

PLAYLIFE wrote:
Gelert wrote:
PLAYLIFE wrote:Does anyone watch GP2 here?
Yes.


I think it's a great series. Mostly due to single spec and inexperienced drivers, entertaining nontheless.
OK - I'll play...

GP2: Fantastic, as you say, due to the single spec - and the mix of seriously experienced versus complete GP2 virgins... Pastor Maldonado is very much the Elder Statesman, and yet still can't get a drive in F1...too ugly? LOL.
Romain Grosjean got his F1 drive and left GP2, fluffed Renault F1 - and was back in GP2 temporarily this season - to show the relevant team that it isn't the car that is at fault, but the drivers that they employ...! LOL again.
But the reason why I love to watch the GP2 Europe Season, is to see how they get off the line / grid - and then to guess how many of the F1 drivers will learn from the two GP2 races, and therefore how THEY attack the first corner lap 1. Amazing how Lewis and Alonso use GP2 tricks - and GP3 - and Porsche Supercup tricks as well.
It makes sense to watch the support races, to pick-up on the overtaking methods and track opportunities.

I was a bit disappointed with Hungary F1. GP2 showed that it was possible to pass on the inside of a couple of corners, and yet F1 protagonists didn't ever bother. Maybe the speed differential between the two series is responsible...?

There are some GREAT drivers in GP2 IMHO. But the stand-out for me this season is Sam Bird. I've seen him in Club Racing here in the UK - and he's got the ability to overtake cleanly, the moment he gets to the back of another car. If it wasn't for bad luck, he'd have no luck. But what a great overtaker he is.

I also watch GP3 - but that's usually a crash-fest...

And the Porsche Supercup - which isn't usually a crash-fest. But at Hungary they went overboard with the special effects - wow - turn 4 lap 1, and a three car pile-up wiped-out several metres of ArmCo and quite a few tyre bales... Track Officials / Marshalls were still repairing the damage as the F1 cars were going to the grid for the start of the race... Fortunately no injuries, so a "good" crash, if you get my point.

Gelert
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Posts : 693
Join date : 2009-08-02
Age : 105
Location : South Sandwich Islands

Back to top Go down

Re: F1 - Does anyone actually enjoy it anymore?

Post by PLAYLIFE on Fri Aug 13 2010, 06:15

Gelert wrote:
PLAYLIFE wrote:
Gelert wrote:
PLAYLIFE wrote:Does anyone watch GP2 here?
Yes.


I think it's a great series. Mostly due to single spec and inexperienced drivers, entertaining nontheless.
OK - I'll play...

GP2: Fantastic, as you say, due to the single spec - and the mix of seriously experienced versus complete GP2 virgins... Pastor Maldonado is very much the Elder Statesman, and yet still can't get a drive in F1...too ugly? LOL.
Romain Grosjean got his F1 drive and left GP2, fluffed Renault F1 - and was back in GP2 temporarily this season - to show the relevant team that it isn't the car that is at fault, but the drivers that they employ...! LOL again.
But the reason why I love to watch the GP2 Europe Season, is to see how they get off the line / grid - and then to guess how many of the F1 drivers will learn from the two GP2 races, and therefore how THEY attack the first corner lap 1. Amazing how Lewis and Alonso use GP2 tricks - and GP3 - and Porsche Supercup tricks as well.
It makes sense to watch the support races, to pick-up on the overtaking methods and track opportunities.

I was a bit disappointed with Hungary F1. GP2 showed that it was possible to pass on the inside of a couple of corners, and yet F1 protagonists didn't ever bother. Maybe the speed differential between the two series is responsible...?

There are some GREAT drivers in GP2 IMHO. But the stand-out for me this season is Sam Bird. I've seen him in Club Racing here in the UK - and he's got the ability to overtake cleanly, the moment he gets to the back of another car. If it wasn't for bad luck, he'd have no luck. But what a great overtaker he is.

I also watch GP3 - but that's usually a crash-fest...

And the Porsche Supercup - which isn't usually a crash-fest. But at Hungary they went overboard with the special effects - wow - turn 4 lap 1, and a three car pile-up wiped-out several metres of ArmCo and quite a few tyre bales... Track Officials / Marshalls were still repairing the damage as the F1 cars were going to the grid for the start of the race... Fortunately no injuries, so a "good" crash, if you get my point.


I only just 'acquired' GP2 Hungary this week so have yet to watch it (obviously don't get it at all down here in Oz). I agree with you with regards to Sam Bird, his pace in Spain particularly was most impressive.

Yeh Maldonado seems to have been there forever. I was initially a fan of Luca Filippi but he had an atroscious season (2008 I think) and never seemed to have recovered his prior form. Grosjean was on fire last year before he moved away to Renault which was a shame because he would have been champion, but he never got to claim his rightful title and is missing from his CV.

I don't get to see GP3 or the Porsche Supercup unfortunately Crying or Very sad
avatar
PLAYLIFE
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Posts : 439
Join date : 2010-07-23

Back to top Go down

Re: F1 - Does anyone actually enjoy it anymore?

Post by Gelert on Fri Aug 13 2010, 14:54

GP3 - there are as many accidents behind the Safety car as there are to bring out the Safety Car in the first place... Razz But for comedy value and amateur hour styleƩ, it's priceless...! All of these Lewis wannabe's, overdriving, trying to impress in front of the TV / trackside audiences, not to mention the F1 & GP2 teams - and completely muffing it!

Porsche Supercup can often be truly processional, especially around the high speed tracks like Spa and Bahrain. But sometimes the series throws-up a curved ball... Monza is strangely quite a good track for the Porsches, with the chicanes. Spa is good Porsche territory in the damp. But Silverstone was a bit of a snore-fest if memory serves...
BTW, You Tube link to the Hungary crash that I was on about - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLmV7iQf9fU

No - you've got the pick-of-the-bunch with GP2.

Gelert
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Posts : 693
Join date : 2009-08-02
Age : 105
Location : South Sandwich Islands

Back to top Go down

Re: F1 - Does anyone actually enjoy it anymore?

Post by Henrik on Fri Aug 13 2010, 20:34

It's funny you mention Porsche Supercup and Monza. I remember in 2000 I was at Monza for the F1 race. The first cars I saw on track were the Porsches, down at the first chicane. I was impressed with how late they would brake for the first right turn after the long straight, and kept marking in my mind their braking points.

Then the F1 cars came out on track, and I was totally blown away. They would still be at full throttle where the Porsches began braking!! Totally amazing, and such a perfect image to show how awesome those F1 cars really are. Especially as I would think back to going around the a track in the safety car, and thinking the driver was going to kill us as he was waiting so late to brake.

_________________

Good motor racing still exists today; it's just not called F1.
avatar
Henrik
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Posts : 1347
Join date : 2009-08-01
Age : 52
Location : Switzerland

Back to top Go down

Re: F1 - Does anyone actually enjoy it anymore?

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum