Donington bow out

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Donington bow out

Post by Danny Boy on Thu Oct 22 2009, 20:36

Donington Park's hopes of staging the British Grand Prix from 2010 look to be over after the operators' latest fund-raising attempts fell through.

Earlier this month Donington launched a bond issue in an attempt to raise £135m, but that has now been withdrawn.

Silverstone is ready to step back in if guaranteed the British Grand Prix would remain at the circuit long-term.

Donington, whose operators are yet to comment, have missed several deadlines to provide financial guarantees.

Donington Ventures Leisure Ltd, the company that operates the track, has faced legal and planning problems since being given the rights to stage the race.

Chief executive Simon Gillett was initially given a deadline of the end of September to demonstrate the funding was in place to carry out the planned multi-million pound revamp of the circuit and its facilities. That deadline was extended by a few days until 3 October.

Motor racing at Donington ceased in September so work could begin to prepare the venue for next year's race.

Silverstone has hosted every British Grand Prix since 1987, while Donington, which is synonymous with MotoGP, has held only one, the European Grand Prix in 1993 (and what a race it was, Senna in the wet).

Sad Sad
Danny Boy
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Re: Donington bow out

Post by Revs on Fri Oct 30 2009, 02:44

yeah this is very sad news... i have a mate working at donnington track atm aswell... i hope they don't destroy the track and have housing developers take it over.
Revs
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by da silva on Sat Oct 31 2009, 15:53

Gillet's an idiot and Bernie's an idiot. Nuff said.
da silva
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Senninha on Sat Oct 31 2009, 18:04

Revs wrote:yeah this is very sad news... i have a mate working at donnington track atm aswell... i hope they don't destroy the track and have housing developers take it over.

What, working on making it into an F1 track?? Seriously, they have people that do that??
Senninha
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Revs on Sun Nov 01 2009, 02:11

Senninha wrote:
Revs wrote:yeah this is very sad news... i have a mate working at donnington track atm aswell... i hope they don't destroy the track and have housing developers take it over.

What, working on making it into an F1 track?? Seriously, they have people that do that??

i dunno, he's a graphic designer video editer guy, not a labourer... i just hope they don't fluff it all up and lose control of the track to apartment builders instead.
Revs
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Senninha on Sun Nov 01 2009, 12:29

Haven't seen much progress myself Revs - unless you count dismantling the Dunlop bridge, digging a hole and making a mess as progress.

I have faith in Tom Wheatcroft though... he won't let the circuit die... but how long we have to suffer in the meantime who knows?
Senninha
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Gelert on Sun Nov 01 2009, 20:21

Senninha wrote:Haven't seen much progress myself Revs - unless you count dismantling the Dunlop bridge, digging a hole and making a mess as progress.

I have faith in Tom Wheatcroft though... he won't let the circuit die... but how long we have to suffer in the meantime who knows?
Sorry to report that Tom Wheatcroft died yesterday. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79938

Gelert
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Revs on Mon Nov 02 2009, 03:17

Gelert wrote:
Senninha wrote:Haven't seen much progress myself Revs - unless you count dismantling the Dunlop bridge, digging a hole and making a mess as progress.

Sorry to report that Tom Wheatcroft died yesterday. http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/79938

crap Sad
the car collection he had at donnington is truly minted... definately lost one of the good guys today.

spoke to my mate, he reckons the negotiations with silverstone are an attempt to quietly jiggle donnington back into the frame... wtf he knows i have nfi, but i'll believe it when i see it.
Revs
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top