ShamuCroaks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fitness

Go down

Fitness Empty Fitness

Post by Henrik Sun Aug 05 2012, 00:43

I mentioned a while back that I had picked up skiing after a 13 year break, and it has been a bit of a revelation. I really loved last season, and it was quickly obvious that I had not forgotten anything I knew about skiing from before. The technique was there instantly, and I was quickly able to adopt also the modern carving skiing style.

My problem though, was that I just no longer had the leg muscles of my youth. My mind could do it, but after some of the more challenging runs the legs would no longer follow. There was one beautiful day we were up in Verbier skiing on the Tortin. The snow was fresh, and the powder amazing on the steep slopes of the Tortin. On the third run my legs just couldn’t handle it anymore and I had to stop or risk getting injured. After this, we headed back to the groomed slopes although I would have loved to continue in the powder.

So, I decided to do something about my leg muscles in preparation for next season. Living at the foot of the mountains I figured bicycling would be the perfect training. I had an old racing bike as well as a mountain bike given to me a number of years back. The problem was that they had both suffered seriously in the humid climate of Singapore, and the racing bike was pretty much history. I got the mountain bike in to riding order, but quickly realized that it was just too small for me. Coming back from a ride my back and neck would hurt, and it really was no fun. Time for a new bike.

Whenever I decide to spend some money on new equipment I like to know what I am getting myself into. So, it was time to fully research the current bicycle situation. I never really liked mountain bikes much, and was thinking of getting a new road bike, but then discovered hybrids. These are a sort of cross between a road bike and a mountain bike. They have the advantage of having upright handlebars, and a front suspension, and they have thinner tyres that go well on the road. They are good on the road, but don’t shy away from riding some dirt trails as well.

I ended up getting a Wheeler 6.4 Cross with a 60cm frame. Perfect for my size, and a pleasure to ride. The hydraulic disc brakes are a revelation for a bicycle (yeah, I know they have been around for a while, but they are new to me).
So, now I am going on very regular rides, which are quickly getting longer and steeper as my fitness improves. With the summer weather, I then throw in a proper swim as I get back from my rides, and my physical fitness is quickly improving. There is an added benefit; I hardly smoke anymore either!

Fitness Tn_large_1331582005-0-screenhunter_25mar.1220.52

I bet next ski season will be a blast!!!
Henrik
Henrik
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum