ShamuCroaks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MotoGP - Jerez

4 posters

Go down

MotoGP - Jerez Empty MotoGP - Jerez

Post by PLAYLIFE Mon Apr 30 2012, 03:10

ROMANO FENATI! Wow. Most impressive debut I've possibly ever seen in any motorsports. First a fantastic 2nd in Qatar and now an incredible win by over half a minute in a field that was decimated in tricky conditions.

If he is able to continue on as is, not get injured, and can carry this talent onto bigger bikes in the future, we may be looking at our next multiple world champion.
PLAYLIFE
PLAYLIFE
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

MotoGP - Jerez Empty Re: MotoGP - Jerez

Post by Henrik Mon Apr 30 2012, 10:33

After a long wait since Qatar, we finally had some MotoGP this weekend.

I still have to check out the Moto3 race, so I will leave comments on that one for later. Playlife, I had not seen that Fenati won the race, but I willt ake that as a confirmation of all that I said about him after Qatar. Without a doubt a future star!

However, the Moto2 race as always did not disappoint! In Qatar we had a fabulous race, which then caused a bit of controversy with the last lap pass of Marquez on Luthi. Personally I thought it was just some hard racing, and Luthi could have dealt with it differently, but there will always be people that make a bit of a fuss. In the end, the ruling body basically gave a warning but no more. Luckily the guys were all back and going at it hard in Jerez!

The positions up front kept changing, and we kept seeing some incredible two wheel slides in to the corners. Marquez managed to get in the lead at one point, and the fear was that he would take off. However a very strong Scott Redding quickly got back up front, and so we maintained a tight group. The track did look slippery, and I don’t think there was a single rider that didn’t mess up a few corners making them fall back for a while. It was all tight stuff but never unfair. Unfortunately the rain began to fall, and since it had been called a dry race at the start it was red flagged. With two thirds distance covered, the race was called with the positions of one lap before the flag coming out giving the victory to Pol Espargaro, followed by Marquez and Luthi. But as usual, so many riders showed that they have potential and the championship will no doubt remain very open for some time still.

In the MotoGP the big questions was obviously if Rossi is really over. In Qatar he had one of his worst races ever, and unfortunately in Jerez he was 13th on the grid with his teammate Hayden in 3rd. And even worst he was some 3.5 seconds of the time of pole man Lorenzo, and behind the 10th placed CRT bike of Randy de Puniet. For sure there was no improvement!

As the race took off, Pedrosa as always got the hole shot, and tried to get away. Nicky was also looking good in the early stages of the race, but unfortunately this was not to last as he then began slipping back further and further. There were some really hard fighting in the beginning as well from the Tech 3 riders, with Dovi and Crutchlow looking great. As time went by a bit, things calmed down and positions stabilized leaving the regulars Stoner, Lorenzo and Pedrosa up front but being joined by a fourth in Cal Crutchlow. Near the end of the race, it got a bit tighter between Stoner and Lorenzo for first, and Pedrosa and Cal for 3rd. Although Lorenzo tried to have a go, it was clear his tires were shot and so Stoner go his win, and with Lorenzo then in second Pedrosa managed to hold off Cal and get third.

Now as much as Rossi’s race is a disappointment, with him fighting for position way back with Barbera and Abraham both on satellite Ducatis, I think Spies is an even bigger disappointment. I have no idea what happened in Qatar, but left it as just one of those weekends. However here in Jerez he should have bounced back, but instead he struggled again finishing way down and well behind Rossi. We know the Ducati is a problem, and so Rossi at least has some excuse, but the M1 is a top bike and Lorenzo is leading the championship with it. Crutchlow managed an incredible fourth with the Tech 3 M1, but Spies is just gone. I really don’t understand it, and hope we will soon get some sort of explanation.

Next weekend will be pretty bike intensive! There is MotoGP in Estoril, WSBK at Monza and BSB at Oulton Park. I don’t know how I will be able to watch that many races, but I guess I will spread it out a bit during the week following…

Henrik
Henrik
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by H8R Mon Apr 30 2012, 16:48

Henrik wrote: I think Spies is an even bigger disappointment. I have no idea what happened in Qatar, but left it as just one of those weekends. However here in Jerez he should have bounced back, but instead he struggled again finishing way down and well behind Rossi.

Ben is going to be looking for a ride soon. I heard he is fighting front end chatter in Jerez. Ben better figure this shit out.

I'm curious about Ben's pit crew as well. If he's fighting chatter they need to figure it out. Being a great rider isn't enough.

They need to put a fork in Rossi...I'm starting to think after watching Nicky that Vale is just collecting a check and waiting for the year to end.

I haven't seen Moto2 or 3 yet. I have to wait till Tuesday for that.

Damn Cal was looking good...as was Dovi. I'd be tipping those two for Ben's seat in 2013 if it wasn't for everyone (Stoner, Pedrosa, and Lorenzo...and well Rossi) being out of a contract at the end of this season.

Lastly...also about Ben. He's been my favorite rider over the last 6 years. He can still be my favorite, but I've been around racing long enough to know that results keep the seat. He isn't putting them up. If he doesn't, Yamaha needs to replace him.
H8R
H8R
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Henrik Mon Apr 30 2012, 19:14

Yeah I know you've been a fan of Ben, as have I. The fights in WSBK were great, and his start in MotoGP has been excellent. Given the bike he is on, and the obvious riding talent he has, I really expected him to be a regular on the podium this season fighting for a win each race. As you say, no results, no seats. Dovi and Cal look hungry! I loved seeing Cal lay a serious blackie through some of the corners showing he was really on it.

Although I am disappointed in Vale, the bike does explain things. Still, it looks like he has totally given up on this season and as you say is just collecting the check. At least Nicky is trying to do something.
Henrik
Henrik
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by H8R Tue May 01 2012, 01:13

Once again I start to wonder if Colin Edwards, renowned for his set-up prowess isn't what Vale and Ben are missing.

Who knows.

Nicky is also a referred to when it comes to bike set up maestros...Nicky is also a good 'ol boy who will ride a bad bike hard. I've got to wonder if Vale has been so used to the Suppleness of the Yamaha that the Ducati really is out of his league.

Hopefully, if Vale chooses to race next year in MotoGp, and hopefully he gets on something that will showcase his skill, but like was said here in another thread...I'd love to see Vale in WSBK.
H8R
H8R
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by PLAYLIFE Tue May 01 2012, 06:10

Vale was not looking good in Jerez, apart from in the wet where he seemed to have the speed to be up the pointy end. Even though Haden dominated in qualifying and race, he slipped back and only finished 6 seconds ahead of Rossi. So I think that confirms that the bike is not really race-able even if it is good for a single hot-lap.

As for Spies, I heard he is suffering from a virus and there were questions over whether he was even going to ride in Jerez. Must admit, it was a second-hand source so not sure how accurate it is but would probably explain his pace. If that's not the reason, then it's been very disappointing for him.

I know I keep raving on about Fenati, but I think his performance is nothing short of incredible. Just turned 16 earlier this year, first two races in a world championship ever and showed some of the more experience guys how to ride. Not only blindingly quick (1.5 secs quicker per lap!), but not one mistake where some of the well-knowns had falls or trips into the gravel. I've already harassed him on Facebook lol
PLAYLIFE
PLAYLIFE
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Henrik Tue May 01 2012, 06:44

I agree fully about Fenati. When I saw the Qatar race I was blown away mostly by his maturity. The way he was riding was more like you see from a top rider in the bigger categories with years of experience. Usually when there is a new quick rider in 125/Moto3 they go for every corner like it was the last one, and often make mistakes but sometimes it works.

Indeed I don't think I have ever seen a rookie on that level in any category ever.
Henrik
Henrik
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by H8R Tue May 01 2012, 17:17

Agreed.

I won't see the race till tonight...but Qatar stunned me. I still can't over this kid on a bike without a major sponsor and a plain white helmet.

I'm looking forward to it.
H8R
H8R
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by TopContender Thu May 03 2012, 00:29

And here I was thinking that I was the only one wondering about Ben. You wonder if Yamaha will swap Cal for Ben soon if he doesn't produce. Right now Yamaha needs anyone that can take points away from a Honda rider and he is not getting it done.

As for Rossi, he could care less about the bike at this point. If they wont do what he asks, then he will just cruise around in protest.
TopContender
TopContender
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by H8R Thu May 03 2012, 17:34

TC-

Totally agree with your post. Even though we both know Ben and Cal can't swap at this point of the year, if Ben doesn't get his team in gear and the bike upfront he will be gone. It's a shame.

I just assumed that Ben being a bigger guy, on a bike with more power he'd be near the sharp end every week. Instead he's trolling around with the customer Ducati's and CRT bikes which is no place for the Factory Yamaha to be.
H8R
H8R
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down