The beauty of noses...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The beauty of noses...

Post by ChrisFF! on Thu Feb 16 2012, 19:42

Hi everyone!

Well, first post in 10 ears time... still a bit rusty...

Anyway: I was wondering about the 2012 F1 cars noses.

How can it be that the new regulations force 11 teams to build cars that look like most topmodels before their plastic surgery and that there is only one team (McLaren) that is capable of building a "nice" (if possible with the current wing regulations) F1 car?
What did McLaren do that all the other teams managed to overlook? Does anyone have a technical explanation for this?

And what about the new noses creating turbulances around the driver's head? Anyone knows something about that?

Cheers!

Chris
FF! (Btw: This means Forza Fernando and OF COURSE N-O-T Forza Ferrari anymore. Sometimes love dies pretty quickly when Shu is driving the car you always dreamed of...)

ChrisFF!
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Re: The beauty of noses...

Post by Gelert on Thu Feb 16 2012, 20:21

Hi Chris.
I'm new here, relatively speaking. So we never got a chance to interact before. Therefore, me saying "Welcome back" is all a bit wrong...but whatever - Welcome back... Beer

According to at least one F1 guru (scarbsf1), Mac have always run their nose section lower than other teams. Therefore their suspension mounting points have always been lower. Therefore they were already well up-to-speed in this area before the new regs hit for 2012.

But the fact that RBR and Newey have come-up with the same ugly stepped nose as 10 other teams is either 1) a mistake or 2) Mac will have issues, or 3) Newey's dropped the ball.

Dunno. 17th March Qually at silly o'clock awaits....

Gelert
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by H8R on Thu Feb 16 2012, 22:13

Gelert wrote:Hi Chris.

Dunno. 17th March Qually at silly o'clock awaits....

Yup...I wouldn't mind seeing Vettel have more of a fight on his hands this year.
H8R
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by PLAYLIFE on Fri Feb 17 2012, 06:23

I'd offer some very high odds on Newey having made a major mistake. I can't see him suddenly producing a lemon.

McLaren's concept is interesting and, as Gelert pointed out, along the lines of their philosophy of recent years. So the evolution to their solution is not of real surprise.

What do you mean silly o'clock, qualifying starts at a proper time, 1700 AEST!

Pretty cool that F1.com have the full race weekend timetable including all support races and outside track action (F/A-18 flying display an hour before quali, woohoo!)
http://www.formula1.com/races/in_detail/australia_864/event_timetable.html
PLAYLIFE
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top