ShamuCroaks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Skiing

4 posters

Go down

Skiing Empty Skiing

Post by Henrik Sun Jan 22 2012, 14:57

When I first moved to Switzerland back in 1977, I had the chance to discover skiing. With one of my brothers, we got completely hooked and would basically spend every weekend from early December to lat April on the slopes. We quickly got pretty good at it, and over the years winter was all about finding the best slopes. We would do a lot of off-piste skiing, and when on the pistes it was the steepest pistes with most moguls that got our attention.

The problem then was that in the '90s the sport was becoming too popular and the resorts simply too crowded. You would wait for easily an hour to go up a lift, and then you had to pick your way down through the crowds. Then my knees started showing signs of serious wear from the abuse I was giving them, and so finally I decided to quit.

My brother on the other hand never quit, and last year I decided to have a go with him again to see if I could still do it. We went up to Verbier, which has become his backyard since a number of years, and I rented a pair of modern skiis and boots. Getting off the lift on the Mont Fort, I was a little bit nervous that I would not be able to do it anymore, but I just had to give it a go. Well it worked! I had not forgotten anything, and it was just amazing to carve down the slopes again. Also, with the modern skis things had gotten so much easier. The only thing was that my legs are no longer those of a 20 year old and so I had to take it easy to avoid a stupid injury.

Following that test last year, the decision was made to seriously get back in to skiing this year. First thing was to get some new boots since my old Hansons were shot (and also so outdated!!). Spent a few hours with a boot fitter and ended up with a pair of Dalbello Boss:

Skiing Dalbello-Boss-Ski-Boots-2012

Next was getting some new ski clothes since my one-piece ski suit would have had people in stitches on the slopes (and I don't think I would ever fit in it!). Here progress has been amazing, and the new materials available today are just incredible. It almost feels like you are not wearing anything, yet you are warm and the materials keeps the sweat away. No more sweating and then freezing as soon as you get on a chair lift! Oh yeah, almost everybody wears a helmet these days as well, so I figured I might as well protect myself as well.

Then I needed skis, and here progress has evolved so much in the past 13 years. The main thing is the arrival of the short carving skis, but also the wide powder skis. I decided I wanted to try out a number of different skis to find the right pair for me. The week before Christmas I went up one day with my brother and organized a test day with a ski shop. We had a blast, and I found my skis. They look like shit, but man are they nice to ski with!

Skiing SK-NOR-111932FIREARR_b

Since then I try to go up every Saturday for a full day of skiing each weekend. I absolutely love it, and am so happy I decided to pick up on the sport again. Just can't wait until next Saturday...

Skiing NewPicture
Henrik
Henrik
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Skiing Empty Re: Skiing

Post by TopContender Mon Jan 23 2012, 02:13

I love to ski. In fact I was trying to get a video feed of the race in Kitzbuhel this weekend. I see Didier Cuche won the downhill again. My other problem is that since I work for a tax company I miss the entire ski season, and normal spring break for the kids. I might have let these guys know that they will just have to let me get away to some place like Beaver Creek or Whistler next year.
TopContender
TopContender
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Revs Mon Jan 23 2012, 06:41

That's awesome Henrik!

yeah those new skis are so much more fun and managable... dont need skis that are 205 anymore, just 155 or so... and the feel and thrust is so much more fun!

as for the one piece suit lol...my dad still runs his... cuts a very severe image on the slopes!! reminds me of Mawson or something lol.... thats not good in the 21stC hehe

and the beer tastes so much better at lunch on the top of the mountain!

Beer
Revs
Revs
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Henrik Mon Jan 23 2012, 08:15

It has been a bit strange getting used to the new skis though. Even though they are easier, and pretty much turn themselves, they don't work so well when you try to ski old school style. Since the old school is pretty much hard-wired to my brain, when things get a little bit out of control I tend to revert to that which is not a good thing. Especially in the powder, since I have an instinct to put the weight further back in order to lift the tips the modern skis wont turn! You really need to keep the weight middle to forward for them to work, and with the tips being some 132mm wide they will float on the powder or over the crud.

I will try and get an old picture up from the 80's just to compare the look!

TC, tell them you have better things to do!

Henrik
Henrik
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Henrik Mon Jan 23 2012, 19:28

So I showed you what I look like today on the slopes, but I thought it would be fun to get something up there from the 80's! Here I am with Greg wearing our mathching suits at Val d'Isere. I am not sure about the year but I think it was 1988.

Skiing Ski80s2
Henrik
Henrik
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by TopContender Tue Jan 24 2012, 03:20

Telling them to take a hike is what Laura told me say. This reminds me of a few years ago when Laura almost took at job in Utah. It would have been cool to ski those slopes, but even I might have had issues with the Mormons.

Hen- you need to sneak off to Zermatt. That was a killer place to visit.
TopContender
TopContender
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Henrik Sat Feb 23 2013, 17:50

Time to bring this thread up a bit since the ski season has been going on for a while now. This year we are having really good conditions, and I have discovered a new type of skis! I was struggling before with my skis from last year to go in the powder, and I thought this was due to my leg muscles. Having trained a lot on my bicycle during the summer, I figured I had resolved the problem. This was not the case though, as the first day on the steep slopes with fresh powder I was still struggling!

My brother suggested I try a different type of ski, wider and softer with less of a carving shape. So, one day I rented a pair and absolutely loved it!. They allowed me to ski more old school style, and it was just fabulous to be back on the powder again and enjoying it! So, I got some new equipment, and since then I am having a blast. The skis from last year are still fabulous on the groomed slopes, and so it really depends on the conditions now which skis I take. The new ones I got with touring bindings and skins so that with my brother we can actually hike away a bit from the lifts and get the untouched snow.

Here is a little video from last weekend...

Henrik
Henrik
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by TopContender Sat Feb 23 2013, 22:37

What kind of camera are you using?
TopContender
TopContender
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Henrik Sat Feb 23 2013, 22:42

That's a GoPro Hero3 Silver Edition. I'm always amazed by the quality of thise little things.
Henrik
Henrik
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny Boy Mon Feb 25 2013, 04:46

Yep, done the back of Tortin and a few others a few times, always felt glad to get back to the chalet alive Very Happy

Not sure why I did not see this thread the first time around.

Skiing the East Rockies in Canada is still the best snow in the world by a mile.
Danny Boy
Danny Boy
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by TopContender Tue Feb 26 2013, 00:28

A buddy just took his family to Banff, and loved it. From what I get the kids had a lot to do too.
TopContender
TopContender
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum