F1 in HD

View previous topic View next topic Go down

F1 in HD

Post by PLAYLIFE on Thu Jan 13 2011, 07:38

Finally, FOM will be broadcasting F1 in HD for 2011.
PLAYLIFE
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Re: F1 in HD

Post by Revs on Thu Jan 13 2011, 08:38

PLAYLIFE wrote:Finally, FOM will be broadcasting F1 in HD for 2011.

will you be able to choose which cockpit to sit in and watch the start as you please? thatd be hot....

i was going to say also, can you mute the bbc moron commentary, but apparently theyve seen the light and given leggard the flick... should be alot less grating in 2011!
Revs
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Gelert on Thu Jan 13 2011, 18:52

Revs wrote:
will you be able to choose which cockpit to sit in and watch the start as you please? thatd be hot....
The technology isn't yet available for on-board HD cameras, so on-board will remain in glorious SD...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88873 All trackside cameras will be full HD, but due to the technical complexity of on-board cameras these will remain upscaled standard definition cameras for now.

As for increasing the options "via the Red Button", dunno...

Revs wrote:i was going to say also, can you mute the bbc moron commentary, but apparently theyve seen the light and given leggard the flick... should be alot less grating in 2011!
I liked Legard - I don't get why he's been given the Spanish Archer, whilst numb-nuts Jordan gets promoted...

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88883 The BBC also confirmed that former team boss Eddie Jordan will continue to be part of its commentary team, in an expanded role as primary analyst.

"It's fantastic that Eddie is rejoining the team, and this year in a more expanded role," said Ben Gallop, BBC Head of F1. "He's such a core character with his outspoken views, unrivalled contacts in the sport and his ability to unearth the stories from the paddock."

Eddie is over-the-top most of the time - this "promotion" unfortunately justifies his doofus-ness, and will no doubt encourage him to be even more of an irrelevant clown IMHO.
The pairing of DC and Brundle seems attractive. But Anthony Davidson + Karun Chandok ran rings around everybody last season when they were on Radio5 Live - quite put EJ's antics into an embarassing cocked hat.

Gelert
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by da silva on Thu Jan 13 2011, 21:10

About time!
da silva
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Revs on Fri Jan 14 2011, 04:14

eddie jordan is a legend! Smile

leggard is a tophy mouthed twat with a fingernails grasp on anything outside britton... and thats Britton with a massive fuck off B at the beginning... will i ever get that mans voice out of my head?!!
Revs
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Gelert on Fri Jan 14 2011, 21:23

Revs wrote:eddie jordan is a legend!
Legend...?

OK, so Legard couldn't pronounce the word "yesterday" in a way that I liked, emphasising the "day", rather than than the "yes" in that word.

"eddie jordan is a legend!"...?
Legend he may be - Bell-End he certainly is...!

But he's NO Paul Stoddart...

Gelert
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by TopContender on Sat Jan 15 2011, 18:41

It is about time they joined the rest of the world. I can get cheap public television in HD, but Bernie couldn't rationalize buying the equipment for an audience of over 400million.

As for the HD cam in cars, Bernie is already 4 years behind. Nascar again has put HD cams in the cars since 2007, and the IRL started in 2008.
TopContender
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by gueuzeman on Sun Jan 16 2011, 08:08

"pinnacle of technology", indeed. He just won't do it until forced or if he sees a big profit in it.

Remember, they still clean the tracks with kitty litter and hand brooms.

gueuzeman
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by PLAYLIFE on Wed Jan 19 2011, 13:38

Correct me if I'm wrong Brits (or anyone in the know), but don't the BBC broadcast a second channel which is purely onboard?

Back in Digital F1 days (1997-2002), there were 6 channels to choose from! Was re-watching a few quali sessions from 2001, since we never received digital F1 here in Oz, it was awesome to see new camera angles with raw natural sound...nice close ups of cars whizzing by a few cm from the wall, fukin' awesome!

HD won't make people who don't watch F1 watch it. But at least the true fans will finally be able to enjoy the races with better quality.

TopContender: do Indycar have true HD for their onboards or is it just upscaled SD? I can't seem to find any info on the onboard cameras for IndyCar. Also I wouldn't compare NASCAR to F1, since it's much easier to mount a camera in a NASCAR - no aero issues and you can make it as large as you want practically. Look no further than the Australian Touring Cars, we had onboard swiveling cameras back in the 80s, maybe even earlier!
PLAYLIFE
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny Boy on Wed Jan 19 2011, 14:08

PLAYLIFE wrote: Also I wouldn't compare NASCAR to F1,

You are quite right, NASCAR is quite exciting to watch, what with cars overtaking and slip-streaming each other, Alonso plodding around in Petrov's wake and watching his WDC leadership dreams fade away on the last race of the season, epitomises today's F1.
Danny Boy
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Gelert on Wed Jan 19 2011, 20:42

PLAYLIFE wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong Brits (or anyone in the know), but don't the BBC broadcast a second channel which is purely onboard?
We know it on the BBC as the "Red Button". On our Sky remote controllers, there are four coloured buttons - green, red, yellow, and blue. When on a BBC channel, there is often a "Side Band*" available via the Red Button.
During the race, via the Red Button, On-Board is available; Live Timing; Reporters in the Pitlane; Radio5 Live Commentary (another BBC asset); plus another two feeds, usually action-specific.

After the BBC Race Coverage has ended, the Red Button has an hour of the "F1 Forum", complete with sad-git-fan-emails. But more importantly, immediate punditry - including "bonus" driver-interviews etc.
During the 2010 Season, action-on-the-day-dependant, this has covered LIVE such items as the "Guest ex-F1 Driver as FIA Steward" 's reaction to events; Eddie Jordan versus Eddie Irvine (LOL); Ferrari-versus-The-World after Germany 2010; etc.

I'm waiting for the multi-D Goggles / Helmet which will allow me to have the main action, whilst listening to Radio5 Live commentary, whilst having the on-board as a Heads-up display...

Following that, there will be the Multi-Sim, which will feedback G-Forces to my Personal Sim-Chair in Real Time - thus allowing me to experience the race in RealForce┬ęGelert...

The film "Surrogates" is an idea not taken far enough yet...!

*Showing my tech-age much...! 1980's! Any ex-CB Radio fans out there...?

Gelert
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Gelert on Wed Jan 19 2011, 20:53

Danny Boy wrote:
PLAYLIFE wrote: Also I wouldn't compare NASCAR to F1,

You are quite right, NASCAR is quite exciting to watch, what with cars overtaking and slip-streaming each other, Alonso plodding around in Petrov's wake and watching his WDC leadership dreams fade away on the last race of the season, epitomises today's F1.
Bahrain & Abu Dhadi aside, this season has been a THRILLER - IMHO obviously.

Strange that the first and last races were yawn-fests, thus bookending the 2010 season in a totally unremarkable way - but that's the way the cookie crumbles.

I, for one, wouldn't be sad to lose Monaco - but hey - that's just me.

Gelert
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by TopContender on Wed Jan 19 2011, 23:40

PLAYLIFE wrote:

TopContender: do Indycar have true HD for their onboards or is it just upscaled SD? I can't seem to find any info on the onboard cameras for IndyCar. Also I wouldn't compare NASCAR to F1, since it's much easier to mount a camera in a NASCAR - no aero issues and you can make it as large as you want practically. Look no further than the Australian Touring Cars, we had onboard swiveling cameras back in the 80s, maybe even earlier!
It should be true HD. Also NASCAR has other HD cameras in the cars. The roof has a cam, and so does the back bumper. Both series have cams that spin too.
TopContender
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by PLAYLIFE on Thu Jan 20 2011, 07:53

TopContender wrote:
It should be true HD. Also NASCAR has other HD cameras in the cars. The roof has a cam, and so does the back bumper. Both series have cams that spin too.

They're all behind the 8-ball.

Onboard swivel cams:

1982 Bathurst, Dickie Johnson
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBCyLev_UXk&playnext=1&list=PL20946FE4C6B2DF2B&index=40

1983, George Fury in the Nissan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PolAk56k-8

Surprisingly, Aussies were way ahead of the game for onboard motorsport cameras.

Not sure when Indycar had onboards and NASCAR I have no idea. F1, Francois Hesnault had one on the third Renault in the 1985 German GP.
PLAYLIFE
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by PLAYLIFE on Thu Jan 20 2011, 07:55

Gelert wrote:
PLAYLIFE wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong Brits (or anyone in the know), but don't the BBC broadcast a second channel which is purely onboard?
We know it on the BBC as the "Red Button". On our Sky remote controllers, there are four coloured buttons - green, red, yellow, and blue. When on a BBC channel, there is often a "Side Band*" available via the Red Button.
During the race, via the Red Button, On-Board is available; Live Timing; Reporters in the Pitlane; Radio5 Live Commentary (another BBC asset); plus another two feeds, usually action-specific.

After the BBC Race Coverage has ended, the Red Button has an hour of the "F1 Forum", complete with sad-git-fan-emails. But more importantly, immediate punditry - including "bonus" driver-interviews etc.
During the 2010 Season, action-on-the-day-dependant, this has covered LIVE such items as the "Guest ex-F1 Driver as FIA Steward" 's reaction to events; Eddie Jordan versus Eddie Irvine (LOL); Ferrari-versus-The-World after Germany 2010; etc.

I'm waiting for the multi-D Goggles / Helmet which will allow me to have the main action, whilst listening to Radio5 Live commentary, whilst having the on-board as a Heads-up display...

Following that, there will be the Multi-Sim, which will feedback G-Forces to my Personal Sim-Chair in Real Time - thus allowing me to experience the race in RealForce┬ęGelert...

The film "Surrogates" is an idea not taken far enough yet...!

*Showing my tech-age much...! 1980's! Any ex-CB Radio fans out there...?

Yeh you guys in the UK have great coverage. I, let's say, 'acquire' all the BBC streams during and after the GP weekend so do get to see all the FP sessions, pre/post quali/race and the forum. The forum is almost my favourite part of the weekend, it's great as it connects all the dots that might have otherwise been missing. And the banter between Irv and Eddie at Monza was great Laughing
PLAYLIFE
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum