ShamuCroaks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Overtaking... a theoretical discussion

3 posters

Go down

Overtaking... a theoretical discussion Empty Overtaking... a theoretical discussion

Post by Cine_Man Tue Aug 04 2009, 22:47

Some theorizing....

Looking at the gap times and overall evolution of the races over the years, the graphs seem to tell a story. Often, pursuing drivers seem to lose the race by following too closely. Yes, eventually, you have to close up and overtake, but the stopwatch seems to indicate that you go slower. Timo Glock had the pace to overtake Raikonnen at Hungaroring on the last stint, but he got stuck, and then both of them went off their laptimes as KR went defensive.
Which left the leader the opportunity to go roaring off into the distance -- and neither following cars were going to ever catch him. So Glock really screwed himself out of a podium. But how do you do it? No more pitstops, you have to do it on the track... do you hang back and try to catch the boy by surprise? Do you simply try to "push" but not hard enough that the leading car "pushes back"? Hope that you catch a backmarker, pressure for a mistake and an open door?

Helio Castroneves did it to perfection at Edmonton this summer and went from 4th or 5th to second, in one go, right at the end of the race. gotta love that.

jPo
Cine_Man
Cine_Man
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

http://www.prestodigitalcolourgrade.ca

Back to top Go down

Overtaking... a theoretical discussion Empty Re: Overtaking... a theoretical discussion

Post by H8R Wed Aug 05 2009, 00:20

Good topic.

I think it is a tech question not a driver style or technique. I can guarantee that any of these racers know exactly how to make a pass. The problem is in aerodynamic aides, and driver aides. Mistakes allow the following driver to capitalize. Aerodynamics prevent the quicker drivers from making a move that isn't a banzai pass.

I hate to beat the two wheeled drum, but I will use it as an example. On equal bikes the faster rider will always be able to pass. On unequal bikes the faster rider, even on a slower bike will be able to pass.

How much downforce does a F1 car create? if it is 2000lbs. cut it back to 500lbs.....return to steel brakes...cut all driver aids...increase HP so tires get destroyed...and let them at it!
H8R
H8R
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Overtaking... a theoretical discussion Empty Re: Overtaking... a theoretical discussion

Post by Gelert Wed Aug 05 2009, 19:56

Momentum and tight lines...

Works for me on the Kart Track and also in the daily commute... Beer

Gelert
Killer Whale
Killer Whale

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down